Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
As A Christian I Take Issue With the Bible and Jesus; Jesus was a fictional character.
Topic Started: May 25 2016, 12:08 AM (1,849 Views)
Fact

There seems to be a litmus test for Christians. The Jehovah's witnesses believe that Jesus was an angel and not God. The Mormons believe that Jesus was Lucifer's brother.

Jesus of Nazareth was an impostor or a fictional character. The letter J wasn't invented until 1600.

There are 10 Christlike figures who predate Jesus and they all have similar stories.

Buddha

Both went to their temples at the age of twelve, where they are said to have astonished all with their wisdom. Both supposedly fasted in solitude for a long time: Buddha for forty–seven days and Jesus for forty. Both wandered to a fig tree at the conclusion of their fasts. Both were about the same age when they began their public ministry.

Krishna

According to Bhagavata Purana some believe that Krishna was born without a sexual union, by “mental transmission” from the mind of Vasudeva into the womb of Devaki, his mother. Christ and Krishna were called both God and the Son of God. Both were sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man. Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity.

Odysseus

Homeric tales about Odysseus emphasize his suffering life, just as in Mark Jesus said that he, too, would suffer greatly. Odysseus is a carpenter like Jesus, and he wants to return his home just as Jesus wants to be welcomed in his native home and later to God’s home in Jerusalem.

Romulus

Romulus is born of a vestal virgin, which was a priestess of the hearth god Vesta sworn to celibacy. His mother claims that the divine impregnated her, yet this is not believed by the King. Romulus and his twin brother, Remus, are tossed in the river and left for dead. (A “slaughter of the innocents” tale which parallels that of Matthew 2:13-16). Romulus is hailed as the son of god. He is “snatched away to heaven” by a whirlwind (It is assumed that the gods took him), and he makes post mortem appearances.

Dionysus

Dionysus was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger. He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles. He “rode in a triumphal procession on an ass.” He was a sacred king killed and eaten in an eucharistic ritual for fecundity and purification. Dionysus rose from the dead on March 25. He was the God of the Vine, and turned water into wine. He was called “King of Kings” and “God of Gods.” He was considered the “Only Begotten Son,” Savior,” “Redeemer,” “Sin Bearer,” Anointed One,” and the “Alpha and Omega.” He was identified with the Ram or Lamb. His sacrificial title of “Dendrites” or “Young Man of the Tree” intimates he was hung on a tree or crucified.

LINK http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-like-figures-who-pre-date-jesus/
Edited by Fact, May 25 2016, 12:09 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stef
Member Avatar

You are of course free to take issue with anything but I'm intrigued as to what you mean when you say "As A Christian" (in the title) while stating that Christ is fictional and an impostor.
What, exactly, do you believe in that makes you a Christian?
Thanks.

Stef
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. – Aesop

Fact

Stef
May 25 2016, 07:09 PM
You are of course free to take issue with anything but I'm intrigued as to what you mean when you say "As A Christian" (in the title) while stating that Christ is fictional and an impostor.
Thanks.

Stef
You are putting words in my mouth. I was not referring to Christ, I was referring to Jesus of Nazareth who the Bible says was the Christ. The Jesus of the Bible is fictional. Paul, who wrote a good share NT never even met Jesus of Nazareth.

The Bible was written by men and compiled by Roman political figures 200 years after the alleged death of Jesus. The NT is fiction.

Christ consciousness make me a Christian. Adherence to those values makes me a Christian.

What makes you a Christian?

Stef
Member Avatar

Fact
May 25 2016, 07:41 PM
Stef
Thanks.

Stef
You are putting words in my mouth. I was not referring to Christ, I was referring to Jesus of Nazareth who the Bible says was the Christ. The Jesus of the Bible is fictional. Paul, who wrote a good share NT never even met Jesus of Nazareth.

The Bible was written by men and compiled by Roman political figures 200 years after the alleged death of Jesus. The NT is fiction.

Christ consciousness make me a Christian. Adherence to those values makes me a Christian.

How did you get "Christ consciousness"?
Which are the values you refer to and where/how did you learn them?
From what you say, clearly not the Bible.
So, again, please specify what you believe in.
It would help me if you could start by clarifying who's Christ for you since, according to you, it's not the Jesus of Nazareth.

As for me, I am a Christian by the normal definition of being a Christian.
Read the Creed - the Nicene or Apostles one would do for this scope though I personally go with the Nicene one.
It summarizes the essence of what makes a Christian in terms of belief though to be a Christian is to try and live the values taught by Christ/Jesus.
I get those from studying the Bible and from my Church.

Looking forward to learn about the non-Jesus Christ and your source of learning.

Stef

Fact

Stef
May 26 2016, 04:42 AM
Fact
May 25 2016, 07:41 PM
Stef
Thanks.

Stef

How did you get "Christ consciousness"?
Which are the values you refer to and where/how did you learn them?
It would help me if you could start by clarifying who's Christ for you since, according to you, it's not the Jesus of Nazareth.

As for me, I am a Christian by the normal definition of being a Christian.
Read the Creed - the Nicene or Apostles one would do for this scope though I personally go with the Nicene one.
It summarizes the essence of what makes a Christian in terms of belief though to be a Christian is to try and live the values taught by Christ/Jesus.
I get those from studying the Bible and from my Church.

Looking forward to learn about the non-Jesus Christ and your source of learning.

Stef
How did you get "Christ consciousness"? I think we all have it. It's a collective unconscious that we either choose to accept through enlightenment or not.

Which are the values you refer to and where/how did you learn them? One does not necessarily learn values. We are born with them. Even some members of the animal kingdom have morality.

Belief is a based on subjection and as we know there are many religious beliefs but they are all wrong. Religious doctrine like the Bible is a creation of mankind. It is not divine and people cannot come to it freely. It's not a good think.

It would help me if you could start by clarifying who's Christ for you since, according to you, it's not the Jesus of Nazareth. Christ is not a who.

As for me, I am a Christian by the normal definition of being a Christian. You then are allowing a man made definition by some real scoundrel define what you are by stuffing you into a mold.

It summarizes the essence of what makes a Christian in terms of belief though to be a Christian is to try and live the values taught by Christ/Jesus
. Who wrote the Nicene or the Apostles creed? Answer: Flawed men with agendas.

I get those from studying the Bible and from my Church. The Bible is a collection of books written by men and edited by men. Don't trust the Bible.

I have studied religions of the world and one thing is true so far; none of their immortal Gods are immortal. When it comes to religion Jesus was a Johnny come lately. I tend to believe that Jesus was an invention of Paul and others. Think about it. Jesus is said to have roamed the middle east and he hung out with guys named, Luke, Mark, John, James, Matthew, Peter, Paul, Andrew, Phillip ect..

The whole Jesus story is borrowed from earlier accounts. It pure plagiarism. Then there are the many errors and contradictions in the Bible. There is no way that a supreme being had his/her/its hand in creating the Bible.

When I attended church and Bible study it didn't take me long to realize that the Bible was not the Word of "God" and that the god portrayed therein was an evil entity. In spite of that I tried self brainwashing so that I would believe it but I was doing what so many Bible based Christian do; I was faking it.

For 200 years after the alleged death of the alleged Jesus and before there were Christians and churches. They were probably the only authentic Christians.

IMO, Christians, real Christians should reject the Bible. The Bible is not from "God".

Fact

How did you get "Christ consciousness"? I think we all have it. It's a collective unconscious that we either choose to accept through enlightenment or not.

Which are the values you refer to and where/how did you learn them? One does not necessarily learn values. We are born with them. Even some members of the animal kingdom have morality.

So, again, please specify what you believe in
. Belief is a based on subjection and as we know there are many religious beliefs but they are all wrong. Religious doctrine like the Bible is a creation of mankind. It is not divine and people cannot come to it freely. It's not a good think.

It would help me if you could start by clarifying who's Christ for you since, according to you, it's not the Jesus of Nazareth. Christ is not a who.

As for me, I am a Christian by the normal definition of being a Christian. You then are allowing a man made definition by some real scoundrel define what you are by stuffing you into a mold.

It summarizes the essence of what makes a Christian in terms of belief though to be a Christian is to try and live the values taught by Christ/Jesus
. Who wrote the Nicene or the Apostles creed? Answer: Flawed men with agendas.

I get those from studying the Bible and from my Church. The Bible is a collection of books written by men and edited by men. Don't trust the Bible.

I have studied religions of the world and one thing is true so far; none of their immortal Gods are immortal. When it comes to religion Jesus was a Johnny come lately. I tend to believe that Jesus was an invention of Paul and others. Think about it. Jesus is said to have roamed the middle east and he hung out with guys named, Luke, Mark, John, James, Matthew, Peter, Paul, Andrew, Phillip ect..

The whole Jesus story is borrowed from earlier accounts. It pure plagiarism. Then there are the many errors and contradictions in the Bible. There is no way that a supreme being had his/her/its hand in creating the Bible.

When I attended church and Bible study it didn't take me long to realize that the Bible was not the Word of "God" and that the god portrayed therein was an evil entity. In spite of that I tried self brainwashing so that I would believe it but I was doing what so many Bible based Christian do; I was faking it.

For 200 years after the alleged death of the alleged Jesus and before there were Christians and churches. They were probably the only authentic Christians.

IMO, Christians, real Christians should reject the Bible. The Bible is not from "God".

Stef
Member Avatar

What you have just shared has nothing to do with Christianity as it could apply to anything nor does it answer anything.

I have zero issue with belief in "collective unconscious" or any belief you might choose to go for.

Just don't call it Christianity when in the same breadth you declare that "Christ is not a who" etc., etc.

Again, I have no issue with any of it as it's your prerogative to believe or not believe whatever you will.

Please share your thoughts and beliefs in the "all faiths & views" forum.
That's where they belong, not in this forum.

Thank you.

Fact

Stef
May 26 2016, 08:19 AM
What you have just shared has nothing to do with Christianity as it could apply to anything nor does it answer anything.

I have zero issue with belief in "collective unconscious" or any belief you might choose to go for.

Just don't call it Christianity when in the same breadth you declare that "Christ is not a who" etc., etc.

Again, I have no issue with any of it as it's your prerogative to believe or not believe whatever you will.

Please share your thoughts and beliefs in the "all faiths & views" forum.
That's where they belong, not in this forum.

Thank you.
Stef you are not being honest. You know that long before Jesus came on the scene there were 10 other Christs who pre date Jesus of Nazareth.

Are you really saying that Christianity did not exist until the invention of Jesus? I can use your very own Bible to prove you wrong.

Eph.1:4-5 "He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will."

Your own Bible clearly states that some of us were chosen even before the earth was made to be Christians. This is how it should have read. Eph.1:4-5 "He hath chosen us in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Christ, according to the good pleasure of his will."

So when you ask how we get Christ it is through God's grace and that is the only way we can have it. This notion of "finding Jesus" is a scam perpetrated by preachers to increase the size of their flock.

Jesus probably didn't exist and your own Bible shows that Jesus did not always tell the truth. Also, the infancy Gospel was omitted from the Bible because it portrayed Jesus as a very naughty child.

Can you explain why there were 10 Christs who preceded Jesus of Nazareth? I can tell you my explanation. Human kind was never without Christ. The Adam and Eve story is not to be taken literally. The meaning we get from that is about humans becoming sentient self aware beings. There wasn't really a talking snake.

Stef
Member Avatar

Isn’t that sweet? In no time at all you have decided that I’m dishonest and have assessed how I read and understand the Bible. But never mind your shallow presumptuousness.
You probably mean well Fact but are quite, quite confused as shown by the many contradictions you have posted here.

In any event, the tone and content of your posts in this thread simply confirm what I have already said.
Following your various statements about Christ not existing, you rejecting the God of the Bible, etc. etc., you have made it abundantly clear that this thread does not belong in a Christians only forum.

Again, I have zero issue with whatever you choose to believe but rules are rules and I will now leave this thread.
I’ll leave it to the mods to draw their conclusions and do as they will.

Having said that, I wish you a fulfilling and life enriching spiritual journey.
May the joy, peace and love of Jesus Christ our Lord be with you always.

Stef

Fact

Stef
May 27 2016, 02:43 PM
Isn’t that sweet? In no time at all you have decided that I’m dishonest and have assessed how I read and understand the Bible. But never mind your shallow presumptuousness.
You probably mean well Fact but are quite, quite confused as shown by the many contradictions you have posted here.

In any event, the tone and content of your posts in this thread simply confirm what I have already said.
Following your various statements about Christ not existing, you rejecting the God of the Bible, etc. etc., you have made it abundantly clear that this thread does not belong in a Christians only forum.

Again, I have zero issue with whatever you choose to believe but rules are rules and I will now leave this thread.
I’ll leave it to the mods to draw their conclusions and do as they will.

Having said that, I wish you a fulfilling and life enriching spiritual journey.
May the joy, peace and love of Jesus Christ our Lord be with you always.

Stef
Stef, I didn't decide that you were being dishonest, it's clear for all to see. I get it. You just found out that the very book you have used to identify yourself is unreliable and wrong. The Bible is not the "Word of God". It can't be.

I cannot speak for you Biblical scholarship and erudition but I can tell you with great authority and that I am not confused not deceived.

Again, why are you lying by saying, "Following your various statements about Christ not existing, you rejecting the God of the Bible" Why are you lying? Where did I say Christ did not exist? You are lying Stef. I said that Christ has existed since the beginning of time. I also said and proved that Jesus of Nazaraeth was predated by 10 other Christ like figures. Did you even bother to read the link.

Instead of trashing me and putting words in my mouth prove me wrong. Prove that there were not 10 other Christ like figures who have similar stories to the Biblical Jesus.

Jesus of Nazareth was probably an invention of the Romans. The Bible certainly was an invention of Rome. Why can't/won't you accept reality and who are you to set up a litmus test and to who is a Christian?

I can provide many examples contradictions in the Bible. I didn't want to believe it but I had to except the truth and I was not going to go through the mental gymnastics trying to convince myself and others that a lie is the truth.

Medway FSM
Member Avatar

Fact
May 25 2016, 12:08 AM
There seems to be a litmus test for Christians. The Jehovah's witnesses believe that Jesus was an angel and not God. The Mormons believe that Jesus was Lucifer's brother.

Jesus of Nazareth was an impostor or a fictional character. The letter J wasn't invented until 1600.

There are 10 Christlike figures who predate Jesus and they all have similar stories.

Buddha

Both went to their temples at the age of twelve, where they are said to have astonished all with their wisdom. Both supposedly fasted in solitude for a long time: Buddha for forty–seven days and Jesus for forty. Both wandered to a fig tree at the conclusion of their fasts. Both were about the same age when they began their public ministry.

Krishna

According to Bhagavata Purana some believe that Krishna was born without a sexual union, by “mental transmission” from the mind of Vasudeva into the womb of Devaki, his mother. Christ and Krishna were called both God and the Son of God. Both were sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man. Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity.

Odysseus

Homeric tales about Odysseus emphasize his suffering life, just as in Mark Jesus said that he, too, would suffer greatly. Odysseus is a carpenter like Jesus, and he wants to return his home just as Jesus wants to be welcomed in his native home and later to God’s home in Jerusalem.

Romulus

Romulus is born of a vestal virgin, which was a priestess of the hearth god Vesta sworn to celibacy. His mother claims that the divine impregnated her, yet this is not believed by the King. Romulus and his twin brother, Remus, are tossed in the river and left for dead. (A “slaughter of the innocents” tale which parallels that of Matthew 2:13-16). Romulus is hailed as the son of god. He is “snatched away to heaven” by a whirlwind (It is assumed that the gods took him), and he makes post mortem appearances.

Dionysus

Dionysus was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger. He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles. He “rode in a triumphal procession on an ass.” He was a sacred king killed and eaten in an eucharistic ritual for fecundity and purification. Dionysus rose from the dead on March 25. He was the God of the Vine, and turned water into wine. He was called “King of Kings” and “God of Gods.” He was considered the “Only Begotten Son,” Savior,” “Redeemer,” “Sin Bearer,” Anointed One,” and the “Alpha and Omega.” He was identified with the Ram or Lamb. His sacrificial title of “Dendrites” or “Young Man of the Tree” intimates he was hung on a tree or crucified.

I'm a nontheist.

Jesus's name was Yeshua, so the letter J nonsense can be forgotten about.

The rest of your post is full of factual inaccuracies. Buddha never visited a temple when he was 12. He meditated for 49 days and was 35 when he started his public ministry.

There is nothing in Hindu scripture to suggest Krishna was born of a virgin.

Odysseus may have been a carpenter but Jesus wasn't. He was a tekton, which is a craftsman who is a builder, wood-worker and stonemason.

Romulus and Remus were called Sons of Mars. The Slaughter of the Innocents comes from Exodus 11:5, not from them.

None of what you said about Dionysus is true. If you got the information from the film "Zeitgeist" then it's long been discredited.

Fact

Medway FSM
Jun 2 2016, 09:10 PM
Fact

Buddha

Krishna

Odysseus

Romulus

Dionysus

I'm a nontheist.

The rest of your post is full of factual inaccuracies. Buddha never visited a temple when he was 12. He meditated for 49 days and was 35 when he started his public ministry.

Odysseus may have been a carpenter but Jesus wasn't. He was a tekton, which is a craftsman who is a builder, wood-worker and stonemason.

Romulus and Remus were called Sons of Mars. The Slaughter of the Innocents comes from Exodus 11:5, not from them.

None of what you said about Dionysus is true. If you got the information from the film "Zeitgeist" then it's long been discredited.
First off, India and China have different stories of the Buddha.

Here's more proof the ones who predate Jesus. I post links.
Posted Image

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2015/03/17/5-near-identical-jesus-christ-myths-that-predate-jesus/

1. Horus (3100 B.C.)

He had 12 disciples.
One was born of a virgin in a cave.
Like Jesus, his birth was announced via a star.
And three wise men showed up!
He was baptized when he was 30 by Anup the Baptizer.
He rose a guy from the dead and walked on water.
Lastly, he was crucified, buried like Jesus in a tomb, and resurrected.

2. Buddha (563 B.C.)
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia

Healed the sick
Walked on water.
Fed 500 men from one basket of cakes.
Taught a lot of the same things Jesus taught, including equality for all.
He spent three days in jail.
Was resurrected when he died.

3. Mithra (2000 B.C.)

An ancient Zoroastrian deity with similarities to Jesus.

Virginal birth on December 25th.
Swaddled and laid in a manger.
Tended by shepherds in the manger.
He had 12 companions (or disciples).
Performed miracles.
Gave his own life to save the world.
Dead for three days, then resurrected.
Called “the Way, the Truth and the Light.”
Has his own version of a Eucharistic-style “Lord’s supper.”

4. Krishna (around 3000 B.C.)

A Hindu God.
Born after his mom was impregnated by a God.
Angels, wise men, and shepherds were at his birth.
Guess what gifts they gave him? Gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
A jealous bad guy ordered the slaughter of all newborns, just as happened with Jesus.
Baptized in a river.
Performed miracles, including raising the dead and healing the deaf and blind.
Rose from the dead to ascend to heaven.
Is expected to return to earth someday to fight the “Prince of Evil.”

5. Osiris (around 2500 B.C.)

Son of an Egyptian God.

Killed and the resurrected after three days in hell. WTF? A common theme here!
Performed miracles
Had 12 disciples.
Taught rebirth through water baptism.

Medway FSM
Member Avatar

Fact
Jun 3 2016, 10:38 PM
Medway FSM
Fact

Buddha

Krishna

Odysseus

Romulus

Dionysus

I'm a nontheist.

Posted Image

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2015/03/17/5-near-identical-jesus-christ-myths-that-predate-jesus/

1. Horus (3100 B.C.)

He had 12 disciples.

2. Buddha (563 B.C.)

Healed the sick
Walked on water.

3. Mithra (2000 B.C.)

Performed miracles.

A Hindu God.
A jealous bad guy ordered the slaughter of all newborns, just as happened with Jesus.
Baptized in a river.

Son of an Egyptian God.

Performed miracles
Had 12 disciples.
No.

The vague similarities between sayings of Jesus and Buddha are neither here nor there.

As I thought, the other crap you write comes from "Zeitgeist" and is simply not true.

Fact

Medway FSM
Jun 3 2016, 10:50 PM
Fact
Jun 3 2016, 10:38 PM
Medway FSM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepBuddha

Krishna

Odysseus

Romulus

Dionysus

Posted Image

1. Horus (3100 B.C.)

He had 12 disciples.

2. Buddha (563 B.C.)

Healed the sick
Walked on water.

3. Mithra (2000 B.C.)

Performed miracles.

A Hindu God.
Baptized in a river.

Son of an Egyptian God.

Performed miracles
Had 12 disciples.
No.

The vague similarities between sayings of Jesus and Buddha are neither here nor there.

As I thought, the other crap you write comes from "Zeitgeist" and is simply not true.
Post a link and disprove it. Why are you being dishonest and refusing to back up your fact free statement?

Medway FSM
Member Avatar

Fact
Jun 3 2016, 11:15 PM
Post a link and disprove it. Why are you being dishonest and refusing to back up your fact free statement?
I'm not being dishonest, you are. You're an anti-Christian posing as a Christian, but that doesn't really matter.

Anyway, here is the evidence:- Zeitgeist, Is Jesus a Myth?

Medway FSM
Member Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4q3WlM9rCI

Skeptic1

"Professor Bart D. Ehrman" leaves Christianity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ln-S7ZraUc

Stef
Member Avatar

Hi Skeptic. :)

I've personally known a couple of priests who decided to leave the priesthood after years of service. And that's just me. It does happen in all walks of life and I know it will continue to happen.

There again,
List of converts to Christianity from nontheism
or
List of former atheists and agnostics

The complexity of the human spirit and mind is truly a fascinating universe.

Stef :)

Skeptic1

Stef
Jun 7 2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Skeptic. :)

I've personally known a couple of priests who decided to leave the priesthood after years of service. And that's just me. It does happen in all walks of life and I know it will continue to happen.

There again,
List of converts to Christianity from nontheism
or
List of former atheists and agnostics

The complexity of the human spirit and mind is truly a fascinating universe.

Stef :)
Hi Stef, :)

I would love to hear the reasons why each side you listed changed their opinions. It would be interesting to listen to the fallacious reasoning one side would offer compared to the logical thinking based on objective evidence the other side offers. I bet you know which side offers which. :)

Medway FSM
Member Avatar

Skeptic1
Jun 6 2016, 08:16 PM
"Professor Bart D. Ehrman" leaves Christianity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ln-S7ZraUc
He's talking about what happened years before writing "Did Jesus Exist?".

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · RELIGION+: all faiths & views · Next Topic »
Add Reply