Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Currently Reading
Topic Started: Mar 19 2016, 06:08 PM (1,417 Views)
Paula Ticks

Posted Image

Not as many twists, turns and surprises as Gone Girl. As of last week, it was still in hard cover. A movie based on the book is due out in Oct. 2016. It will star Emily Blunt.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paula Ticks

Posted Image

The story is about an aging, ill mother having to live with her son while waiting for an opening in a nursing home. Lots of family drama.

grannyhawkins
Member Avatar
I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat
Posted Image
Endeavor to Persevere!!!

jake58

I'm of the mind that many well known authors write the same book over and over and Hardy exemplifies that as much, if not more, than others. Still, it was a really good book and the overwhelming sadness, unrequited love, the failure of true love due to class structure(all these no doubt a reflection on the history/state of his own relationships) strike a chord with social realists. Not recommended for those suffering from clinical depression...
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

Harambe4Trump
Member Avatar

SJWs Always Lie
Facebook never censored any anti-white hate speech from the Fresno killer until he murdered 4 people at a Catholic center

Let that sink in
#wallsnotwars

IrishWitch
Member Avatar

I am a multiple title girl. I usually have more than one book in progress at a time. Right now starting Swords and Scoundrels, the first in a fantasy trilogy.

Imperator-dei
Member Avatar

Posted Image
My sons, the galaxy is burning. We all bear witness to a final truth - our way is not the way of the Imperium. You have never stood in the Emperor's light. Never worn the Imperial eagle. And you never will. You shall stand in midnight clad, Your claws forever red with the lifeblood of my father's failed empire, Warring through the centuries as the talons of a murdered god. Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, In my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords.”

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Posted Image

This has actually been pretty dang good. I have read all of the Holmes stories and own the complete works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Amazon recommended this to me and I have to say, I am enjoying it.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
I have a teen daughter who is an avid reader of pretty much everything but for entertainment she leans toward things that take place in pre-industrial times where magic and monsters are real. Oddly enough she is not fond of the overly romantic stuff (no Twilight for her lol) but she does like strong female characters. I on the other hand am I guy who mourned the deaths of Clancy and Ludlum and I honestly don't know what I am going to do when WEB Griffin and Clive Cussler pass.

Anyway, occasionally we come across books we can both enjoy and talk about. The Belial Series by R.D. Brady is one such series. So, right now we are both reading the current book in that series The Belial Guard.

Posted Image

I highly recommend the series and the author. R.D. Brady is good people.

https://desperateforagoodbook.com/
Edited by Demagogue, Apr 17 2016, 11:33 PM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

70-101
Member Avatar

I'm reading: Voices: The Work of Joni Mitchell

Which discusses her paintings and drawings. Her work is varied and features large abstracts, landscapes related to her song lyrics, sketches from back in the day and lots portraits in oil. Some of her paintings appear to carry a heavy influence of the Dutch master Vincent Van Gogh.

Very enjoyable book, highly recommended if you're a fan - published 2000.

Posted Image

A self-portrait of Joni

"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

mysysail
Member Avatar
Global_Hick
Very nice self-portrait.

70-101
Member Avatar

It's one of my favorites of her. Joni's still very beautiful and currently at home recovering from surgery for a Brain Aneurysm. Judy Collins recently reported Joni is now walking, talking, painting a little, doing rehab every day, and making good progress.

:pray: My prayers go out to her.
"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

IrishWitch
Member Avatar

As always, I am reading several things at once. A really good choice is Eric Larson's Dead Wake. It's the story of the sinking of the Lusitania. I have read a number of Larson's books and highly recommend him as a writer who can make history personal and engaging.

Paula Ticks

Posted Image

Like true crime? This one's a doozy. In 1954 New Zealand, two teens, Juliet Hume and Pauline Parker, planned and killed Pauline's mother. This book spares no detail. But, who Juliet Hume morphed into is the bigger story. It was discovered around 1989 that murder mystery writer (plus Christmas stories, Young Adult novels, Fantasy, and World War I) who must have close to 100 titles on book shelves is Anne Perry. No time for the book--try the movie about the crime, Heavenly Creatures.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
How about recently read lol. Frankly I can't even cover everything since April but lets try to get a few in.

Stephen Coonts - Liberty's Last Stand.

Posted Image

Stephen let's all his fans know how he really feels about Barry in this one that is somewhat more political and less techno thriller than many of his previous novels.

Mark Wayne McGinnis - Boomer

This is a book in the Star Watch series by this author. The Star Watch series is itself a continuation of the Scrapyard Ship series. Both are good SciFi series if you need to get away from reality for a while.

Posted Image

G.P. Hudson - Interstellar War - Book 5 of the Pike Chronicles. Another good sci-fi series.

Posted Image

Tom Clancy - Duty and Honor - This is part of the Jack Ryan Jr. series by Clancy, these books are now written by Grant Blackwood who was co-writing them with Clancy before he passed away. As with all Clancy books, entertaining and detailed.

Posted Image

Brad Thor - Foreign Agent - Scott Harvath on the loose lol.

Posted Image

Clive Cussler - Emperor's Revenge. This is an Oregon Files novel and like all of Clive's work it is a fast entertaining book with some bizarre historical twist throne in there to make things interesting. Clive is really getting up there in age (he is 84) and I see that he has started having people co-write his work with him (Boyd Morrison in this case). So one day we may lose the esteemed and prolific Mr. Cussler but hopefully we won't have to lose his many story lines and characters.

Posted Image

Clive Cussler - The Gangster - This is part of the Isaac Bell series of books by Cussler. These novels are a different venue for Clive and I have really enjoyed all of them. Unlike nearly all of his other books these do not have anything to do with the ocean or NUMA. This series takes place in the early 1900's and follows the adventures of Isaac Bell who is the best detective in the Van Dorn detective agency. Think Pinkerton or something like that as a real world analogue to the Van Dorns. Where the general theme almost always has some form of nautical tie in with most of Cussler's books many of the Bell series have a locomotive tie in since during that era the only way people traveled long distances was by rail. He does a great job giving you the feel of that era in the books and like most of his works, they are entertaining.

Posted Image

B.V. Larson - Lost Colonies Trilogy - Larson is a guy who has written a couple multi-book series. He kept this one to just three and I blew threw it over a weekend and on a drive across Florida earlier this month. He does a good job of creating a future world with all of the politics and shenanigans that exist here in the real world just and weaves that all into an nice trilogy.

Posted Image

Now I have two books that I am just starting.

Brad Taylor - Ghosts of War - This is a Pike Logan thriller and it just got delivered last night from Amazon. Taylor is a former US. Army 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta officer. He was a tier one shooter and so is the main character in his novels. As a guy from that world his novels are always entertaining and realistic but he makes a point to never reveal any methods and tactics that are not already in public domain. In the afterword of his novels he often will share his opinions on things and frankly, the books are worth buying just for that at times.

Posted Image

Then after that I have one more that Amazon just delivered.

R.D. Brady - A.L.I.V.E. - This is a new series for Ms. Brady but it involves alien remains from UFO crashes and cloning. Should be interesting. It started with a short story in the Clones Anthology which was a collection of short stories by various Sci-Fi authors covering how they show things being in a world where human cloning existed.

Posted Image

These of course are just the entertainment novels I have read on my travels back and forth to work. I have a kindle Fire and kindle unlimited so many of the Sci-Fi books are covered under the Kindle Unlimited program. There are probably a couple I have not included in this list in what I read over the last month or two. Apple lost a class action suit about price fixing on ebooks and I just got a $135 credit to Amazon as part of the settlement so I will be happily buying books for a while on their dime lol.
Edited by Demagogue, Jun 28 2016, 02:09 PM.

lucash
Member Avatar
#NeverTrump

Reading a pretty good book about the history of and anthropological details of the New and Old World:

Posted Image

Re-reading a favorite, Theodore Rex by the ever amazing Edmund Morris:

Posted Image
"...a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is detrimental...having lost the will..to demand...good?" - Rachel Carson

Paula Ticks

Posted Image

With the setting as a steamy Caribbean port, this novel spans about 50 years from the 1880's to the 1920's. It's the story of a threesome--but not the kind of threesome that might spring to mind. Two men want a woman. One man marries her. The other waits a mere 51 years, 9 months and 4 days for his chance with her.

The book was written by the late Gabriel Garcia Marquez who died in 2014. He is widely considered the most popular Spanish-language writer since 17th century Miguel de Cervantes. His literary genre is known as magic realism.

No time to read the book--check out the movie made from the novel. Both have been around for awhile.

Paula Ticks

Posted Image

Hiking enthusiast? Neither am I. This story though is so much more than just the ins and outs of hiking. The year is 1955 and a grandmother from Ohio decides to walk the entire Appalachian Trail. It stretches from Georgia to Maine. She had read about it in a 1949 magazine and decided the 2,050 trek was for her. She was one of 15 children and had raised 11 children herself with a man who abused and beat her. This would be a cake walk.

Not only did Emma Gatewood manage to be the first woman to thru walk the Appalachian Trail, she was the first person to do it twice and the first person to do it three times in segments. She became a celebrity and was on shows like Art Linkletter and Groucho Marx.

In the late 50s, she tackled the Oregon Trail, starting in Missouri and ending in Portland, Oregon to show up for the Oregon Centennial Exposition. Go Granny, go Granny, go Granny go.

Lots of history tidbits and simple survival ideas on how Emma managed to do it sans equipment. The book has not been made into a movie, though there has been some interest. There is a PBS documentary on Grandma Gatewood titled 'Trail Magic' that airs every now and then.

Sammy
Member Avatar

The Strategic Constitution by Cooter

Legal Right Social Democracy by MacCormick

Please stay away from MARS

Paula Ticks

Postcards
by
Annie Proulx

This is the first novel written by the author of the Shipping News and short-story Broke Back Mountain. It is the gritty story about a family from Vermont and centers around a son named Loyal. If something bad can happen, Loyal will be at the center of it, including why he left the farm to begin with. From being scalped to surviving a mine cave-in, he just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny. The story begins in 1944 and takes the reader across the U.S. as Loyal ekes out a living by trapping, mining, hunting fossils, ranching and even collecting hats.

Avenue of Mysteries

by
John Irving

If you haven't actually read any of Irvings' books, you have probably seen a movie made from one. He's one of my addictions. This, like other novels by him, is raw, quirky and full of memorable characters. It starts in a dump in Mexico where two siblings live. The girl is strange and can read minds though only communicates in her own made-up language. The boy is destined to be a writer. No problem with his communication skills. Along the way, they join the circus, befriend a priest, scam tourists in the name of the Virgin Mary and aid an American draft-dodger. The story travels between the past and present, ending up in the Philippines.

To Capture What We Cannot Keep

by
Beatrice Colin

There is a non-fiction book, The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson that tells the story of the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in Chicago. (It was to coincide with the 400 year span since Columbus sailed the ocean blue.) The big competition for it's centerpiece was the Eiffel Tower built for France's 1889 World Fair. Our engineering feat for the Chicago Exposition was also amazing. Here's a hint--you have never seen the actual structure but you have enjoyed a version of it in your lifetime.

To Capture What We Cannot Keep has the Eiffel Tower as it's backdrop. The story is somewhat a Victorian Romance Novel but great detail is given on the construction of the tower itself. It was built with 2,500,000 rivets holding it in place. You watch it rise and read about the skepticism of the Parisians over it. It was very controversial at the time. Gustave Eiffel shows up throughout the story. Even before the Eiffel Tower is completely erected, he went off to work on the Panama Canal with an inventive lock design and becomes part of that too. But, a money scandal on what happened to the funds takes a hit on his reputation and puts him in some serious hot (canal) water. But, in the end--- "We'll always have Paris."

The Girl Before

by
JP Delaney

If you liked the other recent books with 'Girl' in the title, like Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, this might be for you. It's another mystery, a psychological thriller that centers around two women who rent the minimalist designed home of a famous architect. At different times, both women agree to a strange set of rules to live in the reasonably priced London home. Don't have the time or the desire to read it, wait for the upcoming movie being directed by Ron Howard.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · LITERATURE & ART · Next Topic »
Add Reply