Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Study Shows What Really Happened in the 2016 Election
Topic Started: Jun 19 2017, 02:25 PM (136 Views)
dr345
Member Avatar

1. The Democratic Party is not really divided on economics.

The ideological content of Sanders’s platform is not what drew voters. It was, instead, his counter-positioning to Clinton as a clean, uncorrupted outsider.

2. Fiscal conservative–social liberals are overrepresented.

The richest members of both parties have more economically conservative and socially liberal views than the poorest members.

3. Libertarians don’t exist.
Well, obviously, they exist — just not in any remotely large enough numbers to form a constituency. It’s not just hardcore libertarians who are absent. Even vaguely libertarian-ish voters are functionally nonexistent.

4. Trump won by dominating with populists.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/new-study-shows-what-really-happened-in-the-2016-election.html
"He will die in jail"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nNeo

I'd argue 3 slightly. True, big "L" is not a political power -- but many so-called libertarians can't be distinguished from 2 -- socially permissive but fiscally conservative (or really self-interested). "Lower my taxes, but let me smoke pot if I want. I don't really care what other people do."

Pretty much agree with the rest, especially 1. The Dem side of the election was a referendum on Clinton the person, and various demographic "us" vs "them" not the overall platform.
Edited by nNeo, Jun 19 2017, 03:11 PM.
Populism is temporary refuge for the ill-informed.

Right-Wing
Member Avatar

So Hillary was just a sh*t candidate and it wasn't muh Russians?

clone
Member Avatar
dis·pu·ta·tious
Right-Wing
Jun 19 2017, 03:12 PM
So Hillary was just a sh*t candidate and it wasn't muh Russians?
They are still stuck in denial....

Posted Image
Don't encourage me...

coverpoint

There is much to absorb in this analysis especially when looking at the original data.

One quite obvious striking problem is that the report is based on voter surveys of trump voters and Clinton voters. However there were 8 million votes (6% of the total) that were cast for neither trump or Clinton.

clone
Member Avatar
dis·pu·ta·tious
The whole thing is stupid...

Traditional Redistricting Principles: The U.S. Supreme Court considers the following as traditional principles, and plans must make a good-faith effort to follow them:
Compactness
Contiguity
Preservation of political boundaries (eg. town boundaries)
Preservation of communities of interest
Preservation of cores of prior districts
Protect of incumbents
In addition to these three principle requirements, any redistricting plan must comply with the Voting Rights Act of 1965. This act prohibits discriminating against the voting rights of racial or language minorities

The rules themselves lend to gerrymandering....
Don't encourage me...

Drudge X
Member Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if leftists blame Ronald Reagan for the loss to Trump.
CNN is ISIS.

clone
Member Avatar
dis·pu·ta·tious
Drudge X
Jun 19 2017, 04:15 PM
An estimated 6.7 to 9.2 million Americans who voted for Obama switched to Trump in 2016, and the Democrats have no true understanding of why that happened. They have largely avoided serious introspection about their loss last November, let alone about the massive losses they accrued during Obama’s two terms in office. The result is Party-wide confusion and incomprehension that has manifested as seething anger, lashing out at anyone and everyone, and plowing forward with an agenda that the majority of the American people simply do not want.

Don't encourage me...

Attaburnsinhell

1. Hillary won but the EC appointed the position to Trump

Attaburnsinhell

clone
Jun 19 2017, 04:20 PM
Drudge X
An estimated 6.7 to 9.2 million Americans who voted for Obama switched to Trump in 2016, and the Democrats have no true understanding of why that happened. They have largely avoided serious introspection about their loss last November, let alone about the massive losses they accrued during Obama’s two terms in office. The result is Party-wide confusion and incomprehension that has manifested as seething anger, lashing out at anyone and everyone, and plowing forward with an agenda that the majority of the American people simply do not want.

If so, then 12 million Romney voters switched to Hillary, because she got 3 million more votes than Trump

clone
Member Avatar
dis·pu·ta·tious
Attaburnsinhell
Jun 19 2017, 04:29 PM
clone
Jun 19 2017, 04:20 PM
Drudge X

If so, then 12 million Romney voters switched to Hillary, because she got 3 million more votes than Trump
Posted Image
Don't encourage me...

peewee

Attaburnsinhell
Jun 19 2017, 04:27 PM
Ma Barker was so inept that she literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's all on her I am afraid.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Robert Stout
Member Avatar

I see something different in the 2016 election....Many people are sick and tired of the establishment's controlled media trying to manipulate them to vote for their approved (most qualified) candidate.....I see a rising popular insurrection................ :popcorn:
Jesus can raise the dead, but he can't fix stupid

Colors
Member Avatar

dr345
Jun 19 2017, 02:25 PM

The ideological content of Sanders’s platform is not what drew voters. It was, instead, his counter-positioning to Clinton as a clean, uncorrupted outsider.

The richest members of both parties have more economically conservative and socially liberal views than the poorest members.

Well, obviously, they exist — just not in any remotely large enough numbers to form a constituency. It’s not just hardcore libertarians who are absent. Even vaguely libertarian-ish voters are functionally nonexistent.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/new-study-shows-what-really-happened-in-the-2016-election.html

[twitter=JoshuaMound/status/876814995912347651]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUkA-5Vd3E0
Edited by Colors, Jun 20 2017, 08:40 AM.

Colors
Member Avatar

Attaburnsinhell
http://unitedstates.com/topic/10072131/2/#post10052587

http://unitedstates.com/topic/10072131/2/#post10052807

clone
Member Avatar
dis·pu·ta·tious
Libs are the same around the world....

Posted Image
Don't encourage me...

truth2p0wer

peewee
Jun 19 2017, 10:53 PM
Attaburnsinhell
Ma Barker was so inept that she literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's all on her I am afraid.
As much as it pains me this is 100% correct. Hilary discounted the level of hatred she engenders, she took for granted historically blue states and neglected Trump's biggest tool... the internet and data analytics. As an aside I also think we will see interesting developments regarding the Trump teams use of data analytics and exactly how they came into possession of that data.

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

dr345
Jun 19 2017, 02:25 PM

what about the Russians? :dunno:
Tik is a Flat-Earther and so are all his friends.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Op EDITORIALS: personal & political governance · Next Topic »
Add Reply