Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
David Brooks: "Getting Uncomfortable" About Lack of Evidence Of Collusion Between Trump And Russia; "Getting Ahead Of Ourselves"
Topic Started: Jun 18 2017, 07:12 PM (273 Views)
dcbl
Member Avatar
Good guys wear white hats
LINK

On Sunday's broadcast of 'Meet the Press' New York Times columnist David Brooks expressed slight concern that the Times and the /Washington Post might be "getting ahead of [themselves]" when it comes to assuming that they will find evidence that President Trump "colluded" with Russia during the 2016 campaign.
Edited by dcbl, Jun 18 2017, 07:14 PM.
Republicans sign checks on the front, democrats sign them on the back…True story!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George Aligator
Member Avatar

Brooks is a supremely sensible conservative whose concern is that evidence about collusion hasn't come out yet. The pace of the investigations is glacial. It took way more than a year for Watergate to get to the congressional hearings. The country would be better off if we investigated swiftly and confidentially then prosecuted if the evidence requires.

But we can't and the reason we can't is that the Republican Party in Congress has tried to dismiss or cover up the whole matter, leaving the Democrats no option but to go public with leaks and publicity moves. We have had the politics of personal destruction for a generation now, amplified by 24 hour cable news. The whole system stinks and no one group is entirely to blame. But we are stuck with it.

The sad fact is that Trump is his own worst enemy. Obstruction is not a small thing. The Russian attack was real and serious, whatever Trump's role was, and there are too many Russian links to just forget about it.
I do not respond to memes

dcbl
Member Avatar
There is nothing to cover up George

Trump did not collude with anyone, anyone with at least 2 functioning brain cells understands this...

Seriously baw, go after Trump for something real or attack him on policy
Republicans sign checks on the front, democrats sign them on the back…True story!

Attaburnsinhell

dcbl
Jun 18 2017, 07:46 PM

Trump did not collude with anyone, anyone with at least 2 functioning brain cells understands this...

He surely did, and all the intelligence agencies got the goods on him and his nest of traitors

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

By the time the investigations run their course and Trumps business practices are fully exposed, the "Russian Issue" will be only in the top five of his problems.
Edited by CautionaryTales, Jun 18 2017, 07:50 PM.
“There is nothing phony about (citizens) not trusting the people they put in positions of leadership,’ Trey Gowdy.”

The Inquisitor

Attaburnsinhell
Jun 18 2017, 07:49 PM
dcbl

He surely did, and all the intelligence agencies got the goods on him and his nest of traitors
And just where are these "intelligence agency's goods"
Let me guess, they're holding them back until they find the crime. :nana:

The "Liberal Left Mantrum"
Do as I say and never as I do, As I know better than you

Opinionated
Member Avatar

How about, and I know this is a freaking radical idea, we wait until Robert Mueller has had an opportunity to actually conduct an investigation before lamenting the "lack of evidence"?

I know, crazy talk.

The Inquisitor

Opinionated
Jun 18 2017, 08:01 PM
How about, and I know this is a freaking radical idea, we wait until Robert Mueller has had an opportunity to actually conduct an investigation before lamenting the "lack of evidence"?

I know, crazy talk.
I hate to do it but for once.........I agree
The "Liberal Left Mantrum"
Do as I say and never as I do, As I know better than you

dcbl
Member Avatar
Attaburnsinhell
dcbl

:blackheli:

black sheep
Member Avatar

Attaburnsinhell
dcbl

And that's exactly why, after 8 months of investigation into the matter, the intelligence agencies have come up with... nothing.

They sure got the goods, all right! :banghead:

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Opinionated

I know, crazy talk.
How about we wait for him to conduct the investigation before declaring that anyone is guilty of anything?
Edited by Demagogue, Jun 19 2017, 11:13 AM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

black sheep
Jun 19 2017, 10:51 AM
Attaburnsinhell
dcbl

And that's exactly why, after 8 months of investigation into the matter, the intelligence agencies have come up with... nothing.

Patience.
They didn't find anything on Ms Clinton over twenty five YEARS of looking for ANYTHING.
“There is nothing phony about (citizens) not trusting the people they put in positions of leadership,’ Trey Gowdy.”

coverpoint

Have all of you been asleep for the last 8 years?

The idea behind a Congressional investigation is to drag the administration through the mud hoping that the majority of people will get so fed up they will vote for a new administration.

This is how America works now.

Attaburnsinhell

black sheep
Jun 19 2017, 10:51 AM
Attaburnsinhell
dcbl

We do know that the Russians hacked into our electoral system in order to favor Trump

We do know Trump had made references to hacking events during the election, even going as far as saying he knows the election was rigged

We do know that Trump's people were in contact with the very Russians behind the hack and lied about it

We do know that they tried to open a back channel to the Kremlin and wont explain why

That's considered cause

That's why a grand jury will be formed, to get them all to testify under oath

Grand juries decide then if theres evidence from those testimonies to hand an indictment

That's when we find out and not until then

clone
Member Avatar
dis·pu·ta·tious
David Brooks is a putz.....
Don't encourage me...

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

Attaburnsinhell
dcbl

Yet Trump was not and has never been under investigation.

Tik is a Flat-Earther and so are all his friends.

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

Attaburnsinhell
Jun 19 2017, 11:37 AM
We do know that Trump's people were in contact with the very Russians behind the hack and lied about it

wtf? What hack?

:dunno:

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

Opinionated

I know, crazy talk.
'Concrete evidence of collusion between Trump team and Russia' handed to official investigation
Friday 14 April 2017

"The official investigation into relations between Donald Trump and Russia now has "specific, concrete and corroborative evidence of collusion", it has been reported."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-russia-investigation-now-has-specific-concrete-and-corroborative-evidence-of-collusion-a7683386.html

:box:

= = = = = = = = = = =

May 23rd
There Remains No Evidence Of Trump-Russia Collusion

Where is the evidence of President Trump's collusion with Russia?

The Wall Street Journal – no particular fan of Trump – characterizes the DOJ charge to Special Counsel, Robert Mueller, as fatally open-ended, vague, and flawed. His instruction lists no federal statutes and invites a fishing expedition into trivial matters. Journalists covering the story appear to disagree on what Mueller is supposed to do: Is he to “oversee the investigation into ties between President Trump’s campaign and Russian officials” or “investigate possible coordination between President Trump’s associates and Russian officials?”

The political feeding frenzy has, to date, brought forth the following facts of Russiagate: Persons associated with the Trump campaign had contacts with Russians, some unsavory. Trump businesses, like other luxury property developers, had dealings with wealthy Russian buyers. Trump did not condemn Putin during the campaign and expressed a hope (shared by many across the political spectrum) of improved relations.

These facts shed little light, if any, on collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian state to throw the election to Trump, as is evidenced by the deafening silence of anti-Trumpists. As Jim Geraghty writes in National Review:

The FBI counterintelligence guys presumably track Russian agents on our soil as much as possible. You figure the NSA can track just about any electronic communication between Russians and figures in the Trump campaign. If there was something sinister and illegal going on…the U.S. government as a whole had every incentive in the world to expose that as quickly as possible.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2017/05/23/there-remains-no-evidence-of-trump-russia-collusion/#3436bd6b242c

Edited by Robertr2000, Jun 19 2017, 12:22 PM.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

Demagogue
Jun 19 2017, 11:12 AM
Opinionated

I know, crazy talk.
How about we wait for him to conduct the investigation before declaring that anyone is guilty of anything?
Based on what I've seen and heard, I suspect Trump is guilty of obstruction of justice. He pretty much as admitted as much when the admitted that he fired Comey because of the Russia "thing". However, I'm perfectly willing, and have been perfectly willing, to let the investigators finish their investigation.

Here's the thing that far too many Trump supporters don't appear to grasp. While there is an ongoing investigation, the FBI is not going to reveal the evidence they've collected. We don't know, and shouldn't know, how much evidence they've got. So claims that there "is no evidence" are based on the fact that the FBI hasn't been forthcoming with the evidence they've got to date, because their investigation isn't over.

It's kind of a stupid argument, that there has been "no evidence found", based on the fact that the FBI has been doing their job and not prematurely releasing what they have. Assuming, of course, they have something. Which at this point seems fairly likely.

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

Maxine Waters (D-CA) concedes there is no proof of collusion as does Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) joined by Trump nemesis Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Fox political analyst, Brit Hume, on Sunday’s #MediaBuzz stated that he has never seen a charge get so far out in front of the available evidence over the course of his long career. Matt Taibbi, a left-wing columnist for Rolling Stone who calls Trump the “crazy clown President," points out that “despite almost daily leaks by anonymous sources, we do not know whether it is about collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian state.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2017/05/23/there-remains-no-evidence-of-trump-russia-collusion/#3436bd6b242c

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · UnitedStates.com DOMESTIC U.S. news · Next Topic »
Add Reply