Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Fascism, in 1944 and Today; deja vu all over again
Topic Started: May 12 2017, 04:35 PM (1,188 Views)
George Aligator
Member Avatar

Seventy-three years ago, The New York Times asked the sitting vice president to write an article about whether there are fascists in America, and what they’re up to.

It was an alarming question. And the vice president took it quite seriously. His article, “The Danger of American Fascism,” described a breed of super-nationalist who pursues political power by deceiving Americans and playing to their fears, but is really interested only in protecting his own wealth and privilege.

That vice president was my grandfather, Henry A. Wallace. And in my view, he predicted President Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/opinion/american-fascism-trump.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region
I do not respond to memes
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

_g R_
Member Avatar

Aside from giving Trump way more recognition and attention than he deserves,
this seems quite plausible, although I would say he more accurately predicted the establishment in general
that was created between the Rayguns and Dubya years in particular.

And then, from my perspective the only two worthy candidates for president in 2016 were Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein.
Edited by _g R_, May 18 2017, 11:06 PM.
Jesse Ventura 2020

George Aligator
Member Avatar

_g R_
May 18 2017, 10:56 PM
Aside from giving Trump way more recognition and attention than he deserves,
this seems quite plausible, although I would say he more accurately predicted the establishment in general
that was created between the Rayguns and Dubya years in particular.

And then, from my perspective the only two worthy candidates for president in 2016 were Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein.
By all the normal rules of the game, the GOP primary should have been a Bush vs Kasich contest. All the rest were just fallout candidates from the fascist takeover of the Republican Party.
I do not respond to memes

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Independent Politics Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply