Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Ancient JPEG Is Getting an Upgrade; Because replacing it would be impossible.
Topic Started: Mar 18 2017, 05:18 PM (86 Views)
wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Posted Image

First released as a standard in 1992, the JPEG is one of the internet's oldest citizens. Just a year younger than the World Wide Web itself, the JPEG is wildly ubiquitous and paved into the pavement of the information superhighway much like its slightly older sibling, the venerable GIF. Now, nearly 25 years after the JPEG was born, Google's managed to improve it with an open-source encoder that can shrink file sizes by 35 percent. That's good news for all of us.

Guetzli, as Google calls it, is essentially a software machine that can make JPEG images. Using a whole bunch of high-tech mumbo jumbo, this machine is basically able to make JPEG image files that look just as good as older ones, but are smaller thanks to better compression that does not degrade the image quality. It can cram more data into the same JPEG-shaped cyberbox.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/news/a25729/google-guetzli-jpeg-compression/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=031817
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Can a get a roll call of the people who remember the jpeg 2000 project?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Not I, I've only been online since about 2004.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

lucash
Member Avatar
#NeverTrump
Demagogue
Mar 21 2017, 04:13 PM

*raises hand*

Things have come a long way just in general.
"...a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is detrimental...having lost the will..to demand...good?" - Rachel Carson

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
lucash
Mar 21 2017, 09:22 PM
Demagogue

*raises hand*

They have. The problem then and now is that .jpg is everywhere. This makes getting a new standard for the format in place difficult and everything will need to be backward compatible.

Of course back in the late 1990's there were many different camera storage devices and certain manufacturers even had their own proprietary standards. Today everyone supports and has a slot for some type of SD card. Every camera stores in .jpg as default and have other formats as options. JPEG has become the default photo storage format for the vast majority of users worldwide despite its somewhat lossy nature. Only high end users work in raw or with other formats like tiff PNG, etc.

The folks at Google are good, maybe they can succeed where others failed.
Edited by Demagogue, Mar 22 2017, 12:53 PM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

lucash
Member Avatar
#NeverTrump
Demagogue
Mar 22 2017, 12:43 PM
lucash
Mar 21 2017, 09:22 PM
Demagogue

*raises hand*

They have. The problem then and now is that .jpg is everywhere. This makes getting a new standard for the format in place difficult and everything will need to be backward compatible.

Of course back in the late 1990's there were many different camera storage devices and certain manufacturers even had their own proprietary standards. Today everyone supports and has a slot for some type of SD card. Every camera stores in .jpg as default and have other formats as options. JPEG has become the default photo storage format for the vast majority of users worldwide despite its somewhat lossy nature. Only high end users work in raw or with other formats like tiff PNG, etc.

The folks at Google are good, maybe they can succeed where others failed.
Google just might, but I honestly think any changes with regards to this, or well, most things, are going to come from not merely big companies doing their own thing, but open source means. You would be surprised what someone with passion for computers (coding, etc. etc.), time on their hands, and a computer can do.

I like to think there's a potential Turing or two out there, someone who has the potential and knowledge and ability to make a significant change/advancement in the general field of computers (be it specifically this, or other areas). :cheers:
"...a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is detrimental...having lost the will..to demand...good?" - Rachel Carson

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Computers and Telecom · Next Topic »
Add Reply