Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Trump’s budget would cut funding for Appalachia — and his allies in coal country are livid
Topic Started: Mar 18 2017, 08:43 AM (526 Views)
CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

During the campaign, Donald Trump billed himself as the “last shot” for coal country. He alone could save regions like Appalachia that had long suffered from poverty and dwindling coal jobs. And voters in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky believed him — choosing Trump over Hillary Clinton by wide, wide margins.

So it’s striking that President Trump’s first budget proposal would slash and burn several key programs aimed at promoting economic development in coal regions — most notably, the Appalachian Regional Commission and the Economic Development Administration. In recent years, these programs have focused on aiding communities that have been left behind as mining jobs vanished.

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/3/17/14951892/trump-budget-coal-country
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

They voted for the guy.

Tsalagi
Member Avatar

As I said on PA's Thread on this very subject of Trump's proposal to slash and burn, actually there CT, I can get behind axing about 75% of the programs/agencies listed in PA's link, but this one, and a couple others are nothing less then punitive. This agency ARC does real good for a portion of this country hit hardest by our dwindling coal industry. It allows for that 3rd gen miner to try to break the mold of having to work in those health-risk occupation

George Aligator
Member Avatar

Tsalagi
Mar 18 2017, 09:46 AM
As I said on PA's Thread on this very subject of Trump's proposal to slash and burn, actually there CT, I can get behind axing about 75% of the programs/agencies listed in PA's link, but this one, and a couple others are nothing less then punitive. This agency ARC does real good for a portion of this country hit hardest by our dwindling coal industry. It allows for that 3rd gen miner to try to break the mold of having to work in those health-risk occupation
Why is Trump punishing his supporters? This makes no sense, even by current White House standards. Possibly, he is trying to provoke a reaction by this phony "budget" list as an opening position if and when the House gets around to dealing with taxes and the real big money items. Still, it is amazing -- amazingly stupid that is.

One observes that the messianic joy which surrounded Trump's election here on us.com has evaporated into sullen silence. If the conservative geniuses who post here have figured out that their hero is an infinitely incompetent and corrupt schmuck who has sold them out, it can't be long until the rank-and-file TEA Baggies wise up to the biggest con in GOP history. All conservative credibility is down the crapper.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

Tsalagi
I'm all for Trump cutting the guts out of every imaginable social program.
It's what the voters want and I think they deserve to get that.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

CautionaryTales
Mar 18 2017, 12:16 PM
Tsalagi
I'm going to have to agree with CT. The voters aren't going to stop voting for Republicans until they understand the real Republican agenda. And it's not to help the coal miners in Appalachia.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

Opinionated
Mar 18 2017, 12:24 PM
CautionaryTales
Mar 18 2017, 12:16 PM
Tsalagi
I'm going to have to agree with CT. The voters aren't going to stop voting for Republicans until they understand the real Republican agenda. And it's not to help the coal miners in Appalachia.
One of the things that I am tired of is following behind elected Republicans and fighting them from executing their agenda because the people that voted them in find that they need to be protected from their poor decision.
Let them loose full bore and let's see what they really are all about.

70-101
Member Avatar

Trump's attempting to run our government in a similar fashion to the way Putin runs Russian. As an example, he wants drastic cuts to our intelligence community. How will this make us safer as a nation? It won't.

But what it will do is give Trump more room to maneuver. Perhaps that's why he wants a personal friend and hedge fund billionaire to advise him in cutting our intelligence services to the bone, while he spends billions on a wall across the southwest. Some of the poorest areas of our nation are in Appalachia and Trump will do nothing to help them - but he has no problem taking healthcare away from them.

I feel sorry for anyone who voted for Trump, now that buyers remorse is overtaking the GOP as if liberals didn't warn you.
"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

estonianman
Member Avatar

70-101
Mar 18 2017, 12:51 PM
Trump's attempting to run our government in a similar fashion to the way Putin runs Russian. As an example, he wants drastic cuts to our intelligence community. How will this make us safer as a nation? It won't.

But what it will do is give Trump more room to maneuver. Perhaps that's why he wants a personal friend and hedge fund billionaire to advise him in cutting our intelligence services to the bone, while he spends billions on a wall across the southwest. Some of the poorest areas of our nation are in Appalachia and Trump will do nothing to help them - but he has no problem taking healthcare away from them.

I feel sorry for anyone who voted for Trump, now that buyers remorse is overtaking the GOP as if liberals didn't warn you.
Shut up, just shut up.
The Democratic Party just wants to make America a better place through coercion and theft.

70-101
Member Avatar

Posted Image

:wah:

estonianman
Member Avatar

70-101
Mar 18 2017, 01:06 PM
Posted Image

Seriously - what the feck your obsession with Putin about?
The Democratic Party just wants to make America a better place through coercion and theft.

jake58

estonianman
Mar 18 2017, 01:08 PM
70-101
Mar 18 2017, 01:06 PM
Posted Image

Seriously - what the feck your obsession with Putin about?
the dude has two actual thoughts... chances are 50/50 you will get one in a post
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

70-101
Member Avatar

Things must be really difficult for the right-wing now.

It's desire to destroy America's middle-class has taken a back-seat to Trump's inability to manage his Twitter account. So, if you can't manage a Twitter account how can you manage an entire nation?

:dunno:

estonianman
Member Avatar

70-101
Mar 18 2017, 01:17 PM

It's desire to destroy America's middle-class has taken a back-seat to Trump's inability to manage his Twitter account. So, if you can't manage a Twitter account how can you manage an entire nation?

You made one post without mentioning Putin or Russia. Congratulations.

jake58

70-101

Not really. They run the country.

It's eunuchs like you and your endless flood of tears that seem to have some issues.
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

BuckFan

Appalachia does not need economic development, Trump is going to bring back all the coal jobs. They will be rolling in coal. Coal for the next decade is all they need. :)

70-101
Member Avatar

BuckFan
Mar 18 2017, 01:49 PM
Appalachia does not need economic development, Trump is going to bring back all the coal jobs. They will be rolling in coal. Coal for the next decade is all they need. :)
Who's going to pay for all the additional lung diseases and accidents miners suffer from after Obamacare's gone the Red Cross? Because it sure won't be the GOP, they're much too busy making America Great Again to be bothered with trivialities such as healthcare.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

70-101
Mar 18 2017, 02:18 PM
BuckFan
Who's going to pay for all the additional lung diseases and accidents miners suffer from after Obamacare's gone the Red Cross? Because it sure won't be the GOP, they're much too busy making America Great Again to be bothered with trivialities such as healthcare.
Nobody except those that will pay with their lives.

estonianman
Member Avatar

CautionaryTales
Mar 18 2017, 02:26 PM
70-101
Mar 18 2017, 02:18 PM
BuckFan
Nobody except those that will pay with their lives.
Posted Image

70-101
Member Avatar

jake58
Mar 18 2017, 01:26 PM
70-101

Not really. They run the country.

It's eunuchs like you and your endless flood of tears that seem to have some issues.
Apply liberally to the affected area and seek immediate medical attention if the pain persists, or you develop a rash.

Posted Image

It's not nearly as much fun being a right-wing zealot as it was a few months ago is it?

By the way, what time do Trump's congressional hearings start on Monday? :popcorn:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · UnitedStates.com DOMESTIC U.S. news · Next Topic »
Add Reply