Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Trump’s budget cuts hit his base — rural voters; Poor hicks Trumped again
Topic Started: Mar 17 2017, 08:25 AM (961 Views)
George Aligator
Member Avatar

WASHINGTON — Some of the biggest losers in President Trump’s proposed budget are the rural communities that fueled his stunning White House victory. Funding that keeps rural airports open, grants that help build rural water and sewer projects, and money for long-distance Amtrak lines that serve rural communities would all disappear under Trump’s budget blueprint released Thursday.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2017/03/16/trump-budget-slashes-billions-from-rural-programs/bP8BKIdo5uSG5UkwD2ylOO/story.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Opinionated
Member Avatar

I have come to the conclusion that poor rural Americans don't believe that they benefit from federal spending. They are firmly convinced that all the federal spending goes to minorities and urban centers and that they're "on their own". And there is no amount of evidence that will convince them otherwise.

Maybe, once they've had all their federal funding chopped out from under them, they'll wake up and realize that they, maybe more than group, are the beneficiaries of significant federal spending and will stop trying to shut off the spigot to everyone.

If not, then they will have made their bed and will get to sleep in it. And I will have little sympathy for their self induced plight.

nNeo

Yeah, the most successful lie perpetrated by the super rich is that the lower middle class are being kept down because poor people are getting too much free stuff. The "welfare queen" stereotype keeps blue collar whites voting against self-interest in a desire to punish "freeloaders" -- not realizing that they are largest beneficiaries of the programs they want to cut.

Protip: no one is being kept poor by anyone making less than you do. The richest one percent of Americans now hold more wealth than the bottom 90 percent.
Hatred is a security blanket for idiots.

George Aligator
Member Avatar

It is clear by now that the top 1% are not going to forego one thin dime for "the greater good" unless forced to do so by the Congress that they now control. This reluctance, however short-sighted, is understandable if not admirable. One of the most sinister indicators of this class warfare which the 1% is winning, is the reluctance of the GOP to even discuss the tax implications of the Trump budget and the AHCA, both of which are based on further huge tax cuts for the richest 1%.

grannyhawkins
Member Avatar
I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat
Just like the wire tappin, which even you on the left know goes on (but won't admit) an most likely targeted the Donald's campaign and residence, obama care (one of our most famous mods forced me to us this language on this forum, but it's painful), obama care was increasingly unsustainable and was/is quite painful to Middle Americans, that aren't eligible for subsidies, or right on the edge of bein eligible. Not many workin Americans with a couple of kids can afford 5 grand deductibles per person, per year!!!

And yes, these are very real stories on the failures of ACA an y'all know it!!!

It would be nice to see intelligent and genuine opinions on this civil forum, of the facts as we all know them, without the partisan horse duvers!!!
Edited by grannyhawkins, Mar 19 2017, 03:37 PM.
Endeavor to Persevere!!!

Opinionated
Member Avatar

grannyhawkins
Mar 19 2017, 03:35 PM
Just like the wire tappin, which even you on the left know goes on (but won't admit) an most likely targeted the Donald's campaign and residence, obama care (one of our most famous mods forced me to us this language on this forum, but it's painful), obama care was increasingly unsustainable and was/is quite painful to Middle Americans, that aren't eligible for subsidies, or right on the edge of bein eligible. Not many workin Americans with a couple of kids can afford 5 grand deductibles per person, per year!!!

It would be nice to see intelligent and genuine opinions on this civil forum, of the facts as we all know them, without the partisan horse duvers!!!
No, we know no such thing. We do not know that the Trump campaign was monitored. We do know that phone calls to the Russian ambassador are monitored, that's pretty much a given. But if they weren't talking to the Russian ambassador, we have no reason to believe their communications were monitored in any degree, at least no more than all our communications are monitored anyway.

Don't expect us to accept your "factual claims" which aren't supported by any facts.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

grannyhawkins

One thing we do know is that Donald Trump and his Republican partners have scrambled the egg of the ACA.
It isn't likely that it will survive. That ship has pretty much sailed.

It was dispatched by the promise of a better, more affordable system that leaves no one behind.
Now that the ACA is finished those same Republicans and Donald Trump will be held responsible for whatever they deliver, or don't deliver.

At this point it's all about waiting to see just what is accomplished but those that have promised to "fix it"

Best of luck. I hope you folks succeed because if you do, we all win.
But if you don't, you lose.

Thank Donald Trump for creating that situation.
Edited by CautionaryTales, Mar 19 2017, 07:23 PM.

George Aligator
Member Avatar

Opinionated
Mar 19 2017, 04:57 PM
grannyhawkins

No, we know no such thing. We do not know that the Trump campaign was monitored. We do know that phone calls to the Russian ambassador are monitored, that's pretty much a given. But if they weren't talking to the Russian ambassador, we have no reason to believe their communications were monitored in any degree, at least no more than all our communications are monitored anyway.

Don't expect us to accept your "factual claims" which aren't supported by any facts.
The press hasn't done a very good job are showing the size of the Russian/Trump communication problem. There are literally dozens of Russians and dozens of Trump associates involved in phone calls, emails and in-person meetings. The Russian list includes sketchy oligarchs and known intelligence agents. The Trump list includes people at the highest levels of the campaign (e.g. Manafort) and ex-military handling diplomatic and intelligence matters (e.g. Flynn). And these guys weren't discussing borscht. The topics included taps and leaks, i.e. felonies and Trump policy toward Russia i.e. lifting sanctions. This constitutes a conspiracy to commit treason and our president and his top advisors are in it up to their eyebrows.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

George Aligator
Mar 19 2017, 07:28 PM
Opinionated
grannyhawkins

The press hasn't done a very good job are showing the size of the Russian/Trump communication problem. There are literally dozens of Russians and dozens of Trump associates involved in phone calls, emails and in-person meetings. The Russian list includes sketchy oligarchs and known intelligence agents. The Trump list includes people at the highest levels of the campaign (e.g. Manafort) and ex-military handling diplomatic and intelligence matters (e.g. Flynn). And these guys weren't discussing borscht. The topics included taps and leaks, i.e. felonies and Trump policy toward Russia i.e. lifting sanctions. This constitutes a conspiracy to commit treason and our president and his top advisors are in it up to their eyebrows.
That may be the case. There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence available to make that a legitimate question.

The problem, as I see it, is that pretty much no one in a position to investigate the truth of the matter, has a real interest in revealing that truth if it means that significant elements of the Trump campaign/administration are shown to be traitors.

George Aligator
Member Avatar

Opinionated
Mar 19 2017, 09:03 PM
George Aligator
Opinionated
grannyhawkins

That may be the case. There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence available to make that a legitimate question.

The problem, as I see it, is that pretty much no one in a position to investigate the truth of the matter, has a real interest in revealing that truth if it means that significant elements of the Trump campaign/administration are shown to be traitors.
We are moving steadily toward the decisive question of whether the President is capable of performing the duties of his office. The fat is in the fire. It is going to take something radical and unlikely for Trump to survive. The GOP has lost confidence in him -- not just in his half-baked proposals, but in his emotional stability and executive competence. Dumping the guy so he can spend more time with his family and putting the reliably conservative dork, Pence, in charge would be the best outcome for the GOP. The Dems would like an impeachment trial like the one in South Korea, that would bring the whole Republican Party down with Trump. It's a tough calculation for the GOP.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

George Aligator
Mar 20 2017, 12:17 PM
Opinionated
George Aligator
Opinionated
grannyhawkins

We are moving steadily toward the decisive question of whether the President is capable of performing the duties of his office. The fat is in the fire. It is going to take something radical and unlikely for Trump to survive. The GOP has lost confidence in him -- not just in his half-baked proposals, but in his emotional stability and executive competence. Dumping the guy so he can spend more time with his family and putting the reliably conservative dork, Pence, in charge would be the best outcome for the GOP. The Dems would like an impeachment trial like the one in South Korea, that would bring the whole Republican Party down with Trump. It's a tough calculation for the GOP.
That scenario would require that Trump be pressured into resigning by the GOP. Which would require that Trump acknowledge at some level that he's just not cut out for the job. I don't see Trump's ego letting that happen. Instead, I envision Trump labeling everyone who approaches him with such a suggestion as a tool of the fake media or some such nonsense. He'll never, ever concede that he's a bumbling fool, his self image would completely crumple. So, it's going to be conspiracy theories and people acting against him covertly. I can easily see him as Captain Queeg from the movie "The Caine Mutiny", displaying paranoia and mumbling about strawberries.

PATruth

George Aligator
Opinionated
George Aligator
Opinionated
grannyhawkins

As supported bynumerous polls, the business sector has given Trump their confidence, so has the majority of the American people. The only ones having mental conniptions are those that can't get over Hillary's epic loss. Also, calling poor rural people " hicks" is uncalled for and hostile. It appears a "no hostility" forum is unworkable on p.com. Those who doubt Trump's "survival" are nothing more than wishful thinking complainers that can't accept the outcome of an election.
Don't like Trump? My advice, you have two thumbs, pick one and suck it...

Opinionated
Member Avatar

PATruth
Mar 20 2017, 12:44 PM
George Aligator
Opinionated
George Aligator
Opinionated

Quoting limited to 5 levels deep

As supported bynumerous polls, the business sector has given Trump their confidence, so has the majority of the American people. The only ones having mental conniptions are those that can't get over Hillary's epic loss. Also, calling poor rural people " hicks" is uncalled for and hostile. It appears a "no hostility" forum is unworkable on p.com. Those who doubt Trump's "survival" are nothing more than wishful thinking complainers that can't accept the outcome of an election.
The majority of the American people have given Trump their confidence? On what do you base that, because I think that claim is in error.

Based on recent polls Trump has an approval rating in the high 30s and a disapproval rating in the high 50s. I would say in fact that a majority of the American people have NOT given Trump their confidence.

PATruth

Opinionated
Mar 20 2017, 12:49 PM
PATruth
George Aligator
Opinionated
George Aligator

The majority of the American people have given Trump their confidence? On what do you base that, because I think that claim is in error.

Based on recent polls Trump has an approval rating in the high 30s and a disapproval rating in the high 50s. I would say in fact that a majority of the American people have NOT given Trump their confidence.
Please look at confidence ratings, it is clear the business community as well as working people have more confidence in the economy now that a pro-business, pro-American leader is in the WH. Some may fixate on Trump's politically incorrect language or fictitious scandals but working families are more concerned about their paychecks and their future. There's an old saying, "it's the economy stupid" that always rises to the top priority. Some appear ready to plunge the country into chaos because their candidate lost. I find that as unpatriotic as it gets. When partisan issues supplant what's good for the country it's truly a sad day. I'm thinking if Obama had created a thriving economy and a good healthcare bill we wouldn't be having this conversation. The American people voted to take a different path, it's time to honor their wishes.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

PATruth
Mar 20 2017, 12:59 PM
Opinionated
PATruth
George Aligator
Opinionated

Please look at confidence ratings, it is clear the business community as well as working people have more confidence in the economy now that a pro-business, pro-American leader is in the WH. Some may fixate on Trump's politically incorrect language or fictitious scandals but working families are more concerned about their paychecks and their future. There's an old saying, "it's the economy stupid" that always rises to the top priority. Some appear ready to plunge the country into chaos because their candidate lost. I find that as unpatriotic as it gets. When partisan issues supplant what's good for the country it's truly a sad day. I'm thinking if Obama had created a thriving economy and a good healthcare bill we wouldn't be having this conversation. The American people voted to take a different path, it's time to honor their wishes.
Economic confidence does not necessarily reflect on the President at all. And just because people see the economic situation in a more favorable light, doesn't mean they like, support, or have confidence in the President. In fact, in this case it appear to be just the opposite, people have more economic confidence despite not likely, supporting, or having confidence in the President.

PATruth

Opinionated
Mar 20 2017, 01:16 PM
PATruth
Opinionated
PATruth
George Aligator

Economic confidence does not necessarily reflect on the President at all. And just because people see the economic situation in a more favorable light, doesn't mean they like, support, or have confidence in the President. In fact, in this case it appear to be just the opposite, people have more economic confidence despite not likely, supporting, or having confidence in the President.
The business community doesn't fall for nice slogans like "Hope and Change". They see a competitive, lower, normal corporate tax rate relative to the rest of the world as a positive. They see fewer costly regulations as a positive. They see fairer trade deals as a positive. They have a team of consultants and accountant's that project a better business environment. That instills confidence, something woefully lacking during the past eight years. No one invests, especially in US manufacturing, until they have confidence. The president can only do so much, they can't negate a global recession but they can level the paying field and give American companies a competitive chance. I personally welcome a pro-business agenda.

George Aligator
Member Avatar

PATruth
Mar 20 2017, 01:59 PM
Opinionated
PATruth
Opinionated
PATruth

The business community doesn't fall for nice slogans like "Hope and Change". They see a competitive, lower, normal corporate tax rate relative to the rest of the world as a positive. They see fewer costly regulations as a positive. They see fairer trade deals as a positive. They have a team of consultants and accountant's that project a better business environment. That instills confidence, something woefully lacking during the past eight years. No one invests, especially in US manufacturing, until they have confidence. The president can only do so much, they can't negate a global recession but they can level the paying field and give American companies a competitive chance. I personally welcome a pro-business agenda.
This ^^^ rosy scenario about business wouldn't be so bitterly funny if all those business experts looking for profit maximization through deregulation hadn't managed to destroy some of the biggest investment banks in the country and plunge the world into global recession. Then, along comes a progressive Democrat who gets the economy up and running again, restores the millions of jobs lost under Dubbya without adding to government payrolls, and triples the DJIA.

No, my friend, the old cliches about how the GOP is the pro-business party and the Dems never met a payroll is as out-of-date as high button shoes. The modern economy requires precise regulation and substantial government investment in health, education, infrastructure etc.

The taxes to pay for this absolutely necessary public-private collaboration are obscenely mal-distributed. The nominally high corporate tax rate is a joke, as the biggest corporations pay much, much less -- sometimes nothing at all. Corporate taxes are used to enforce big business monopoly and stifle small to mid-size competition.

Taxes on the 99% are as high as in Scandinavia with almost none of the benefits, all to protect the billionaires. What is the highest marginal rate now? What was it under Reagan? What was it under Eisenhower? Big business is not the answer, big business is the problem.

PATruth

George Aligator
Mar 20 2017, 02:20 PM
PATruth
Opinionated
PATruth
Opinionated

This ^^^ rosy scenario about business wouldn't be so bitterly funny if all those business experts looking for profit maximization through deregulation hadn't managed to destroy some of the biggest investment banks in the country and plunge the world into global recession. Then, along comes a progressive Democrat who gets the economy up and running again, restores the millions of jobs lost under Dubbya without adding to government payrolls, and triples the DJIA.

No, my friend, the old cliches about how the GOP is the pro-business party and the Dems never met a payroll is as out-of-date as high button shoes. The modern economy requires precise regulation and substantial government investment in health, education, infrastructure etc.

The taxes to pay for this absolutely necessary public-private collaboration are obscenely mal-distributed. The nominally high corporate tax rate is a joke, as the biggest corporations pay much, much less -- sometimes nothing at all. Corporate taxes are used to enforce big business monopoly and stifle small to mid-size competition.

Taxes on the 99% are as high as in Scandinavia with almost none of the benefits, all to protect the billionaires. What is the highest marginal rate now? What was it under Reagan? What was it under Eisenhower? Big business is not the answer, big business is the problem.
The fact most liberal democrats have never met a payroll is not fiction, it is fact. Progressives like Obama and Sanders have basically never even functioned in the private sector let alone create a single real job. Government is the last resort to many who can't cut it in the private sector.

Second, Obama's "up and running" slowest since the Great Depression economy was accomplished by borrowing on average one trillion dollars a year. Borrowing by definition is stimulus. It is completely clear that without his MASSIVE borrowing the economy would have never seen positive growth. How does that work as a long term economic plan? Hint, it's the Greek plan.

Third, the US does have the highest tax rate in the free world, that is not in dispute. Those that haven't purchased the right accounting loopholes find it more advantageous to leave the country. Under Obama the best competitive move many companies could make was to move to Ireland.

Fourth, almost every Scandinavian country has had to lower their tax rates and decrease their welfare roles to regain economic prosperity. There is a limit to the amount the government can suck from the investment stream.

Fifth, the middle class prospered most when government was approx. half what it is today. Please check gov spending/GDP after WWII. Is it a coincidence that the government is confiscating nearly 40% of GDP and the middle class has never been worse off and more in debt?

Last, the old line about the wealthy not paying their share is a red herring, mostly an act of jealousy. Maybe Rachel Maddow will expose another millionaire that doesn't pay their taxes? Some act like wealth is consumed? We both not that's not true. Some pretend controlling wealth takes away from what others can spend. When you start consuming investments you are in a death spiral.

Being pro-business is self explanatory, it yields better results than being anti-business.

Opinionated
Member Avatar

PATruth
Opinionated
PATruth
Opinionated
PATruth

You seem to have this delusional belief that what is good for business is good for America.

That old canard has been repeatedly debunked, but for some reason many conservatives seem utterly devoted to it. The reality is this, what is good for business is often absolutely devastating for America, because business is about making as much money as you can while giving as little as you can in return. And while deregulation may be good for making money, it is usually bad for not being cheated.

nNeo

"pro-business" is a very broad brush. Often what is presented as "good for business" is good for a business or an industry (frequently a big one that supports a congress critter) but bad for everyone else.

If we suddenly let coal mines dump waste in rivers, coal mine overhead goes down and profits go up. But everyone downstream gets screwed. When they get together and sue the mine 12 years later, even the coal industry may end up worse off. But in the mean time someone made off with a bunch of cash -- starting with the congress critter and lobbyist who wrote the "pro business" bill.

Profit taking, especially rent taking, can make a few people rich, but it's unsustainable and doesn't lead to long term economic growth. What grows economies over time is infrastructure, educated healthy workers, stable currency, rule of law, with enough regulation to prevent predation, fraud, and major corruption, but not so much as to make it difficult to do business.

Historically the US has been pretty good at these things, but for the past few decades we're been slipping into polarization, with the extreme left and right demanding absurd things, and the practical middle losing sway.
Edited by nNeo, Mar 20 2017, 07:26 PM.
Hatred is a security blanket for idiots.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Civil Debate & Discussion ( No Hostility :) · Next Topic »
Add Reply