Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1970 Challenger T/A First Start in Years!
Topic Started: Feb 19 2017, 11:39 AM (2,554 Views)
70-101
Member Avatar

"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

70-101
Member Avatar

:cheers: Not smoking, not leaking and purring like a kitten.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

Bought a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis from my friends 96 year old father. He was going to give it to the "We buy any car" guys but they only offered him $240.
The car has 77k and lived in a garage for 21 years. It is in perfect condition with all dealer service records kept up and documented.
I wasn't looking for a car, but this was a chance to have one of the big old boats in terrific condition for a little while.
It's rear wheel drive with the V8 all the bells and whistles of 1996. Should be fun.
“There is nothing phony about (citizens) not trusting the people they put in positions of leadership,’ Trey Gowdy.”
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

70-101
Member Avatar

Late 90's Grand Marquis were actually handsome well-made cars, they were exceptionally well-designed cars built for reliable long distance comfort and low operating costs facilitated by easy repairs. The only issue you may have with the car is getting some body parts, and some electrical components like wiring harnesses, turn signal switches, fuses blocks etc, etc. I see styling cues from the Crown Vic, Lincoln Continental and the Mercedes E-class in this series Mercury. It's a wonderful car and at that mileage, the engine should be in very good condition. Make sure the water pump and timing belt's been changed recently, if not have it done soon. Because if that timing belt breaks it's really costly to have all the values replaced.

Posted Image

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

70-101
Feb 27 2017, 02:47 AM
Late 90's Grand Marquis were actually handsome well-made cars, they were exceptionally well-designed cars built for reliable long distance comfort and low operating costs facilitated by easy repairs. The only issue you may have with the car is getting some body parts, and some electrical components like wiring harnesses, turn signal switches, fuses blocks etc, etc. I see styling cues from the Crown Vic, Lincoln Continental and the Mercedes E-class in this series Mercury. It's a wonderful car and at that mileage, the engine should be in very good condition. Make sure the water pump and timing belt's been changed recently, if not have it done soon. Because if that timing belt breaks it's really costly to have all the values replaced.

Posted Image
I'm not usually a fan of the big cars. I haven't owned one in fifty years since I had a 66 Ford Galaxy. I normally would have no interest in one, but this one has been cared for by a meticulous man that I've known for about forty years. The car is in perfect condition, the man that owned it is a neat freak.

I'll keep it for awhile just to get a few long drives in it. I want to try out that big car road trip experience.

I was the transportation home for my friend and his father from the "we buy any car" guys. They dinged their offer down and down over every little thing they could drum up, but when they deducted the cost of a detailing ($150) from their offer to Mr F I spoke up and told my friend that I would buy that car before he had to sell it for nothing to these guys.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to driving the big ole thing around like a proper old man.
“There is nothing phony about (citizens) not trusting the people they put in positions of leadership,’ Trey Gowdy.”

ringotuna
Member Avatar

CautionaryTales
Feb 26 2017, 09:27 PM
Bought a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis from my friends 96 year old father. He was going to give it to the "We buy any car" guys but they only offered him $240.
The car has 77k and lived in a garage for 21 years. It is in perfect condition with all dealer service records kept up and documented.
I wasn't looking for a car, but this was a chance to have one of the big old boats in terrific condition for a little while.
It's rear wheel drive with the V8 all the bells and whistles of 1996. Should be fun.
Bring it out to Texas...Let's trick it out.

Posted Image
I may not always be right, but by God I'm NEVER wrong.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

ringotuna
Feb 28 2017, 08:11 AM
CautionaryTales

Posted Image
I'm not a fan of the odd sized wheels, big or small.
I do want to take a road trip with it. Maybe Arkansas.

ringotuna
Member Avatar

CautionaryTales
Mar 2 2017, 03:14 PM
ringotuna
CautionaryTales

Posted Image
Posted Image
I may not always be right, but by God I'm NEVER wrong.

CautionaryTales
Member Avatar

ringotuna
Mar 2 2017, 05:46 PM
CautionaryTales
Mar 2 2017, 03:14 PM
ringotuna
CautionaryTales

Posted Image
Posted Image
Looks like a tough mudder

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply