Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
‘Vicious circle’: Moscow warns NATO Black Sea buildup & increased spending may lead to new Cold War
Topic Started: Feb 17 2017, 02:36 AM (95 Views)
Siberian
Member Avatar

Moscow will take “all necessary measures” to protect its national interests in the Black Sea, Russia’s envoy to NATO has said, warning the alliance risks ushering in a vicious new Cold War with its significant spending and military build up in the region.
Wrapping up NATO Defense Minister’s two-day meeting in Brussels, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg outlined the new steps the alliance has taken to counter so-called 'Russian aggression.'
Part of the strategy adopted at the meeting was to increase NATO's naval presence in the Black Sea to complement its “regional posture in the air and on land.”

https://www.rt.com/news/377657-moscow-nato-black-sea-buildup/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

70-101
Member Avatar

We're already in a cold war with the Russians.
"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Putin will be a boil on Trump's a$$ for as long as they are both in office. Trump is not in his league.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

Siberian
Member Avatar

70-101
Feb 17 2017, 02:44 AM
Not yet. And I doubt there can be reincarnation of that Cold war, since there is no fight for the very existence, there's no ideological antagonism. Though, maybe there is desire from American side to both change the regime in Rusia and make Russia disintegrate.
Anyway, the struggle is not global and total, there are issues in which both sides still cooperate. As well there is another player - China, which makes the scale and style of USSR-USA Cold war hardly achievable, the World is more complex.
But until older American generation dies off and till such crazy old idiots as McCain will still keep fighting the mills and define US foreign policy - I am sure some attempts to return to that Cold war may be made.
Edited by Siberian, Feb 17 2017, 05:15 AM.

70-101
Member Avatar

Siberian
Feb 17 2017, 05:14 AM
70-101
Not yet. And I doubt there can be reincarnation of that Cold war, since there is no fight for the very existence, there's no ideological antagonism. Though, maybe there is desire from American side to both change the regime in Rusia and make Russia disintegrate.
Anyway, the struggle is not global and total, there are issues in which both sides still cooperate. As well there is another player - China, which makes the scale and style of USSR-USA Cold war hardly achievable, the World is more complex.
But until older American generation dies off and till such crazy old idiots as McCain will still keep fighting the mills and define US foreign policy - I am sure some attempts to return to that Cold war may be made.
No ideological antagonism?

The Russian government intentionally and repeatedly interfered with the U.S. general election and that's not antagonistic?

"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

Siberian
Member Avatar

70-101
Feb 17 2017, 05:35 AM
Siberian
Feb 17 2017, 05:14 AM
70-101
No ideological antagonism?

The Russian government intentionally and repeatedly interfered with the U.S. general election and that's not antagonistic?

You understand of courde, don't you, that you are just repeating proofless lie of one of interest parties of your presudential campaign, multiplied by affiliated media to degree of looking like a fact, because they have ability to tell it to you a million times without being opposed...
If not, I suppose you are ready to present this proofs here , or not?
I'll respond on the topic later, if you don't mind..

Siberian
Member Avatar

but (still keeping the question open and waiting for the answer) let's pretend Russia really did hack and publish Clinton's e-mails.
Is it antagonism? I supppse it's a reciprocal friendly gesture - since the US openly finances Russian opposition (let alone Chechen terrorists) and demonstrates all kinds of support to it - obviously finding it not interfering into Russian domestic affairs, so Vlad just might think it is how business is done in Western democracies :)
If you want to make friends with somebody - get involved into a regime change there :)
So, nothing much has changed, just Russia finally joined the democratic West and acts accordingly... :)
But speaking seriously, by ideological antagonism I mean capitalism/communism antagonism, they could not coexist according to both ideologies.
Now there's an ordinary geopolitical competition which does not exclude change of priorities or circumstances or alliances... now it's enough to subdue the opponent. (still hopes in vain, but have to mention)
Even collapse of Russia, which most idiots stuck in the Cold war consider if not as a primary target but as a favourable option is viewed by many Western analysts as a threat to the US taking in account future US-China conflict. Since theoretically China is more a threat to Russia, if the US minds its own business and does not create problems for Russia.
I'm saying this not as a supporter of Putin and any thaw with the US, you must keep in mind that I count on US-Russia further conflict, which will finally push Putin to gathering Russn lands in Ukraine, Kazakhstan etc. I say it just for sake of objectivity.
Edited by Siberian, Feb 17 2017, 02:24 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · UnitedStates.com FOREIGN* & DEFENSE · Next Topic »
Add Reply