Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ford F150
Topic Started: Dec 7 2016, 10:09 PM (237 Views)
edro14

Best truck made for 39years now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

edro14

http://ww4.topratedtrucks.com
Edited by wilmywood8455, Dec 8 2016, 06:48 AM.

nNeo

Had good luck with a 350, and a couple 250s. Don't mind the Dodges either.
Populism is temporary refuge for the ill-informed.

jake58

1989 Ford F350(diesel - 7.3 International) - dump body... 400,000 miles(2nd engine) still running for someone else

currently, 2014 Ford F450 carting a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer... runs like a top
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
I love the F-150, don't love the aluminum bed. It is not the end of the world, you just absolutely must buy a bed liner if you get one and intend to use it for work.
Edited by Demagogue, Dec 8 2016, 11:27 AM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Yeah, that Chevy commercial showing the holes is pretty illustrative.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
wilmywood8455
Dec 8 2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah, that commercial is not the original for that illustration. The first time I saw it was on some show where they dumped rocks into it from a front end loader. Bad for the Ford. Then the guys at Honda got in on the act and did the same test with their composite bed and it was fine. Of course, if the composite bed in the Honda can take the sharp rocks then putting a composite liner over the aluminum bed would protect the Ford in all but the most extreme cases.

I was worried when they went to aluminum just because of the nature of the metal. I work with aluminum a lot and when you bolt aluminum to steel there is an issue with them being dissimilar metals that can lead to corrosion in the wrong conditions. In addition there is a reason swords and armor are not made of aluminum.

Don't get me wrong, properly applied aluminum is a wonderful material. Heck one of my customers is a huge aluminum recycling and manufacturing company. I am just not sure that a truck bed was the best application.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Demagogue
Dec 8 2016, 12:16 PM
wilmywood8455
Yeah, that commercial is not the original for that illustration. The first time I saw it was on some show where they dumped rocks into it from a front end loader. Bad for the Ford. Then the guys at Honda got in on the act and did the same test with their composite bed and it was fine. Of course, if the composite bed in the Honda can take the sharp rocks then putting a composite liner over the aluminum bed would protect the Ford in all but the most extreme cases.

I was worried when they went to aluminum just because of the nature of the metal. I work with aluminum a lot and when you bolt aluminum to steel there is an issue with them being dissimilar metals that can lead to corrosion in the wrong conditions. In addition there is a reason swords and armor are not made of aluminum.

Don't get me wrong, properly applied aluminum is a wonderful material. Heck one of my customers is a huge aluminum recycling and manufacturing company. I am just not sure that a truck bed was the best application.
Yes, both the toolbox and concrete block commercials are very illustrative. Agreed, aluminum is a great material. I wonder which alloy the beds are made of. Some are softer or more workable than others.

Edit: from what I can find, the beds are a 6000 series alloy.

Edited by wilmywood8455, Dec 8 2016, 12:47 PM.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

edro14

Demagogue
wilmywood8455

Dissimilar metals attached to each other corrode (effervescence). But there are ways to prevent that by isolating contact.

Funny the Chevy commercial does not mention what grade aluminum is used o that Ford for the commercial.

bomb 20

Demagogue
wilmywood8455

My question is what idiot would allow them to dump the rocks into the bed from that height. Besides, the "rocks" they dumped are not rocks but retaining wall stones that would be palletized.

bomb 20

edro14
Dec 9 2016, 10:32 AM
Dissimilar metals attached to each other corrode (effervescence). But there are ways to prevent that by isolating contact.

Funny the Chevy commercial does not mention what grade aluminum is used o that Ford for the commercial.

It's a military grade alloy, not pure aluminum.

edro14

bomb 20
Dec 9 2016, 06:28 PM
edro14
Dec 9 2016, 10:32 AM

It's a military grade alloy, not pure aluminum.
Exactly. But even more to the point is no evidence of any Ford PU has had it's floor bed damaged.

jake58

bomb 20
Dec 9 2016, 06:27 PM
Demagogue
wilmywood8455

My question is what idiot would allow them to dump the rocks into the bed from that height. Besides, the "rocks" they dumped are not rocks but retaining wall stones that would be palletized.
'Anyone dumb enough to use their truck like that should buy a Chevy.'

I would imagine that aluminum holds up better in states like mine where salt is a bigger factor. Also, it should be pointed out that the overwhelming majority of pickups have a liner of some sort anyway which makes the point moot.
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply