Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
In 2005, a U.S. Navy Submarine Ran Into a Mountain; The USS San Francisco didn't sink, and that's no accident.
Topic Started: Dec 6 2016, 08:32 PM (353 Views)
wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Posted Image

In 2005, the nuclear attack submarine USS San Francisco suddenly stopped dead in its tracks. The ship's crew were thrown about, some over distances of 20 feet, and the majority of the 137-member crew suffered one injury or another—including one that would later prove fatal. Further inspection would explain what happened, and reveal that the submarine's bow looked like a crushed soda can. USS San Francisco had run into an undersea mountain.

On that day, January 8, 2005, the San Francisco had been approximately 360 miles southeast of Guam, traveling at flank speed (more than 30 knots). The navigational charts used by the ship's crew failed to show a seamount, or undersea mountain, protruding from the ocean floor. The sub smashed into it head-on.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a24158/uss-san-francisco-mountain-incident/
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ringotuna
Member Avatar

No problem....That'll buff right out. :biggrin:
Edited by ringotuna, Dec 8 2016, 08:43 AM.
"Tell them you're a Muslim..Tell them you're a Muslim": Nancy Pelosi LOL

Tsalagi
Member Avatar

A rubber mallet, some wax, nada problem

ringotuna
Member Avatar

Tsalagi
Dec 12 2016, 12:21 AM
A rubber mallet, some wax, nada problem
:lol:
"Tell them you're a Muslim..Tell them you're a Muslim": Nancy Pelosi LOL

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

T, you forgot the duct tape ...

Posted Image
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

Tsalagi
Member Avatar

Can you imagine being the sonar tech on deck at that time....."Oops....my bad"

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Tsalagi
Dec 14 2016, 04:01 PM
They were running passive only. Generally speaking, seamounts don't generate sound.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tsalagi
Member Avatar

Demagogue
Dec 14 2016, 04:21 PM
Tsalagi
They were running passive only. Generally speaking, seamounts don't generate sound.
You know I was just having a funny ha ha moment right...even still the Nav charts should have documented it, but geesh, you blew the joke by being serious....what the hell am I to do with you.

Robertr2000
Member Avatar

Tsalagi
Don't you have family in the Navy?
Podesta/Clinton DC Pedophile ring. Pass it on.

Tsalagi
Member Avatar

Robertr2000
Feb 3 2017, 03:37 PM
Tsalagi
Don't you have family in the Navy?
No, youngest is a Marine Corps 0302, Infantry platoon commander.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fire-Rescue-Armed forces-Police :) · Next Topic »
Add Reply