Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
VW Reaches Agreement On Fixes, Buybacks For 80,000 Polluting U.S. Diesels
Topic Started: Nov 15 2016, 11:56 AM (519 Views)
Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://www.oann.com/vw-reaches-agreement-on-fixes-buybacks-for-80000-polluting-u-s-diesels/

November 15, 2016

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Volkswagen AG <VOWG_p.DE> has reached an agreement with U.S. regulators for a mix of buybacks and fixes for 80,000 polluting Audi, Porsche and VW 3.0-liter vehicles, two sources briefed on the matter said Tuesday.

The agreement includes a buyback offer for about 20,000 older Audi and VW SUVs and a software fix for 60,000 newer Porsche, Audi and VW cars and SUVs, the sources said. A separate, more complex fix is expected to be offered for the older vehicles. Talks are ongoing between lawyers for the owners and Volkswagen over compensation for the owners ahead of a Nov. 30 court hearing.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
I don't own one but if I did I would not let them fix it and I would not take the buyback.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

jake58

Demagogue
Nov 15 2016, 11:57 AM
I don't own one but if I did I would not let them fix it and I would not take the buyback.
as someone who does own one, why not?(I know why not to let them fix it)
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
jake58
Nov 15 2016, 04:06 PM
Demagogue
I suppose with the buyback it all depends on the terms. They say you get the repurchase price of the vehicle plus $5100-$10,000.

VW does not currently sell a diesel in the USA. So you can not replace your car with a new one of the same model. With that said, if you are looking to move on from that vehicle to something different then the buyback is a great deal. I have a couple friends who own a Jetta TDi. They both love their car, the performance and the fuel economy. There is no direct equal for their vehicle on the market today so even if they get 5k over buyback price it won't buy them something that directly equals what they have now.

Functionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the VW diesels. They just emit too much sulfur among other things but if that does not bother you then there is no reason to make a change. You could get a hybrid to replace the TDi but unlike the diesel (which will run forever if properly maintained) the battery in that hybrid is going to fail, hopefully it is after 200,000 miles but it will fail. I know people with older VW diesels who are working on 500,000 miles.

Personally I think that the government made a mistake with their latest diesel standards for passenger cars.

jake58

Demagogue
Nov 16 2016, 10:29 AM
jake58
Demagogue
I suppose with the buyback it all depends on the terms. They say you get the repurchase price of the vehicle plus $5100-$10,000.

VW does not currently sell a diesel in the USA. So you can not replace your car with a new one of the same model. With that said, if you are looking to move on from that vehicle to something different then the buyback is a great deal. I have a couple friends who own a Jetta TDi. They both love their car, the performance and the fuel economy. There is no direct equal for their vehicle on the market today so even if they get 5k over buyback price it won't buy them something that directly equals what they have now.

Functionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the VW diesels. They just emit too much sulfur among other things but if that does not bother you then there is no reason to make a change. You could get a hybrid to replace the TDi but unlike the diesel (which will run forever if properly maintained) the battery in that hybrid is going to fail, hopefully it is after 200,000 miles but it will fail. I know people with older VW diesels who are working on 500,000 miles.

Personally I think that the government made a mistake with their latest diesel standards for passenger cars.
Wifey has the Jetta TDi. We got it because she has a long commute - she puts on about 30k per year. Personally, I hate driving it because as a 6'3" 58 yo male I have to fold myself in half to get in there but she appreciates the mileage and the car is comfortable for her and very safe. I agree with your conclusions and had already given her most of the same arguments. She is concerned about resale but I think there might even be a premium for those cars as there will be a lot less of them on the road. She was also under the impression that the govt could force you to take the car off the road which I hadn't seen anything about... but I choose to save my arguments for pcom.
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
jake58
Nov 16 2016, 04:35 PM
Demagogue
jake58
Demagogue

Wifey has the Jetta TDi. We got it because she has a long commute - she puts on about 30k per year. Personally, I hate driving it because as a 6'3" 58 yo male I have to fold myself in half to get in there but she appreciates the mileage and the car is comfortable for her and very safe. I agree with your conclusions and had already given her most of the same arguments. She is concerned about resale but I think there might even be a premium for those cars as there will be a lot less of them on the road. She was also under the impression that the govt could force you to take the car off the road which I hadn't seen anything about... but I choose to save my arguments for pcom.
Indeed, choose arguments with the wife wisely lol.

As for the government, I think it depends on where you live. Where I live in Florida there is no emissions testing. So here we can tell the government to pound sand and there is very little they can do about it. Someone in a state like California may be facing a different situation since their vehicle will have to pass the testing requirements.

jake58

Demagogue
Nov 16 2016, 04:48 PM
jake58
Nov 16 2016, 04:35 PM
Demagogue
jake58
Demagogue

Indeed, choose arguments with the wife wisely lol.

As for the government, I think it depends on where you live. Where I live in Florida there is no emissions testing. So here we can tell the government to pound sand and there is very little they can do about it. Someone in a state like California may be facing a different situation since their vehicle will have to pass the testing requirements.
NJ has emissions testing. I believe they copied the CA requirements, so they're pretty strict. I read in a blog somewhere that these emissions tests are a lot less rigorous than the EPA's tho and it's likely they would pass. I guess we'll find out. I don't think it's due until 2018. We agreed that we wouldn't take the fix so it comes down to whether we go for the buyback and her current preference is to keep the car. I suppose if it doesn't pass NJ inspection, we could take it across the river and sell it in PA or DE. I drove my last Ford F350 about 400,000 miles(and it's still on the road elsewhere) so the possibility of 300-400,000 miles sounds good to us.

jake58

To whit...

Some states try to address the issue of owners who do not comply with air pollution recalls.

New Jersey has a law requiring owners to have emissions recalls carried out on their vehicles and to provide proof in order to register them. But it has never been used and it would be “premature and speculative” to discuss how that law might apply to Volkswagen, said Mairin Bellack, a spokeswoman for the state’s Motor Vehicle Commission.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/19/business/the-owner-has-a-crucial-part-in-volkswagen-diesel-repair.html?_r=0

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply