Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Field Car No More: Ray Evernham Restored the ’58 Chevy Impala from American Graffiti
Topic Started: Nov 4 2016, 07:47 PM (1,366 Views)
wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Posted Image

“When I was growing up, it was about that car,” said Ray Evernham of the 1958 Chevrolet Impala owned by graduating senior Steve Bolander [Ron Howard] and memorably driven by Charles Martin Smith’s Terry the Toad character in American Graffiti. “I don’t know if it’s that I see myself as more of a Steve or a Toad than a Bob Falfa [Harrison Ford] or a John Milner [Paul Le Mat], but there’s just something about it. In its 22 minutes of screen time, all the characters interact with it. Even Bob sits on the fender at the end of the movie.”

Evernham had pestered the car’s owner to sell the Impala to him for years, and when the Chevy was finally set to go up for auction in 2015, the NASCAR legend and TV host managed to acquire it through negotiations. Parked since 1974, when its owner enlisted in the Marine Corps, the Impala was in pretty sad shape when it was finally sold. The lacquer paint was literally falling off the car. The original 348-cubic-inch engine had been replaced by a 283 small-block with a four-barrel carb. The interior had faded appreciably. It was, as Milner said of Falfa’s ’55 Chevrolet in the movie, a field car.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/field-car-no-more-ray-evernham-restored-the-58-chevy-impala-from-american-graffiti/

I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

70-101
Member Avatar

Beautiful and hot right out of the box. In the late 50s and early 60's a 348 with the Tri-power option ran in NHRA A/Stock, which was some pretty fast company in those days. I believe the 348 also gave birth to Chevy's 409 with production starting in late 1960, I think.

"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply