Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dramatic crash test illustrates U.S.-Mexico auto safety divide
Topic Started: Nov 2 2016, 04:42 PM (602 Views)
Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/02/dramatic-crash-test-illustrates-u-s-mexico-auto-safety-divide.html

There are many reasons why you can buy a $7,500 new car in Mexico and you can’t in the United States, but safety is a major one.

Although many of the cars built in Mexico are exported to the United States, its local safety requirements pale in comparison, and entry level cars sold there do without much of the basic safety technology available today.

To illustrate the difference, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and its Mexican counterpart, Latin NCAP, conducted a head-to-head crash test of the cheapest sedans Nissan sells on either side of the border: the $7,500 Tsuru and the $12,000 Versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0
Edited by Demagogue, Nov 2 2016, 04:43 PM.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
If you ever wondered why you can buy a car in Mexico for $4500 less than any car here in the USA, well now you know.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

That red car looks like a 20 year old Sentra

1997 Sentra:

Posted Image
Edited by wilmywood8455, Nov 2 2016, 05:01 PM.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
wilmywood8455
Nov 2 2016, 04:59 PM
That red car looks like a 20 year old Sentra

1997 Sentra:

Posted Image
It basically is a 20 year old Sentra that they still build today for the Mexico market. It is in the article (or maybe the video that is in the linked article). Nissan decided to cancel the car after this year and this horrendous test was part of the reason.

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Ha! I hadn't read it, but I guess I have a pretty good eye for cars! :cheers:

And sho' 'nuff, here's a 1990 Sentra:

Posted Image
Edited by wilmywood8455, Nov 2 2016, 05:44 PM.
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
Yeah, the way that the driver's side door simply separated from the car as the entire driver's side crushed in is fairly impressive in a bad way.

edro14

A head on crash at 35 miles an hour will render both cars a total loss. At 50mph...good luck!

wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

The 'total loss' isn't the point. The integrity of the cab is.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply