Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
World’s First Sport Truck?; 1955-58 Chevy Cameo
Topic Started: Sep 2 2016, 06:41 AM (445 Views)
wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

Posted Image

They may be the best-selling vehicles in America, but we still largely think of trucks as work vehicles – it’s just that the definition of work has changed. People still expect their pickups to be reliable, easy to work on, able to take a beating, and haul just about anything they can throw at it. But they also expect them to be sporty, comfortable, good-looking, and modern. With trucks from virtually every automaker finally catching up to – and in some cases surpassing – cars in terms of comfort and all mod cons, we might think of this trend as a uniquely modern one. But Chevrolet tried its hand at a stylish, comfortable, more livable pickup over 60 years ago. Known as the Cameo, it was a sales flop, but has since gone on to become of the most legendary pickups of all time.

In many ways, the 1950s were the golden age for General Motors, and the middle of the decade ushered in a renaissance for Chevy. All of GM’s brands were benefitting from advanced styling trickling down from a seemingly endless line of Motorama concept cars, and the introduction of the all-new 1955 Chevrolet cars, with their available V8 engine, made Chevy the most popular car company in America. Times were good in Detroit, and automakers were willing to take risks on new projects.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/chevy-cameo-first-sport-truck.html/?ref=YF&yptr=yahoo
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bomb 20

The Cameo is coveted for the same reason as the 1971 Hemi 'Cuda, they were too expensive for their market and were sales disasters. They are rare because they didn't sell when new.

70-101
Member Avatar

bomb 20
Sep 5 2016, 12:45 PM
The Cameo is coveted for the same reason as the 1971 Hemi 'Cuda, they were too expensive for their market and were sales disasters. They are rare because they didn't sell when new.
The Plymouth Barracuda's styling wasn't as popular as its corporate cousin the Dodge Challenger, which was a new model in 1970 and it dominated E-Body sales from 1970 TO 1974.
"We should not confuse populism with popularity" - R. Wolffe

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply