Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Perspectives. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What happens if VW can't fix its TDI diesel engines in America?; Historical precedent gives us the answer, and it may not be pretty.
Topic Started: Aug 28 2016, 06:34 PM (439 Views)
wilmywood8455
Member Avatar

One of the biggest questions lingering over the Volkswagen diesel scandal is whether the company will be able to fix the offending cars. So far, VW hasn't had much luck, which may make you wonder what will happen if the cars can never actually be fixed. Interestingly enough, history tells us that these cars could have a bleak future if they can't be fixed.

Back in 1994, the LA Times reported on a similar situation. Nissan had been struggling to find a fix to correct a fire hazard on its 1987-1990 vans. After recalling the cars a total of four times with no success, the company decided to buy back as many of the 33,000 vans as it could and destroy them. Although Nissan didn't get every single van, it still managed to effectively wipe out the model in the US.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/28/vw-tdi-diesel-grim-future-united-states/
I thought as I got older, I would learn wisdom and patience, but the only thing I have learned so far is that I don't give a damn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jake58

My wife has one. I think their response has been a bit skimpy to date for those of us who don't feel the need to be overcharged at the dealer but supposedly the buybacks are coming.

http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl/proposed-settlement
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

Demagogue
Member Avatar
Administrator
I don't have one of those but if I did there is no way I would let anyone touch my car. My ex has a Jetta with the engine in question and that thing rocks. It runs spectacular and get's over 40MPG average for her.

Unless you are just desperate to hug a tree or live somewhere that you simply can't get around emissions testing then there is simply no reason for you do do anything.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jake58

Demagogue
Aug 29 2016, 03:33 PM
I don't have one of those but if I did there is no way I would let anyone touch my car. My ex has a Jetta with the engine in question and that thing rocks. It runs spectacular and get's over 40MPG average for her.

Unless you are just desperate to hug a tree or live somewhere that you simply can't get around emissions testing then there is simply no reason for you do do anything.
My wife sees the same performance. I think she worries more about car value since she will want to sell it in a few years. There's always the question of what the govt may do to force VW to get the cars to comply from a MPH standpoint and the fallout from that.
Snopes CEO embezzles from company, divorces wife to marry prostitute: Mostly true

Harambe4Trump
Member Avatar

Chevy will continue to sell the Diesel Cruze. VW diesel sales are dead for at least a decade
The Progs shouting Trump's not my President are right because America isn't their Nation

edro14

Funny American buyers are still buying VW diesel cars.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Automotive · Next Topic »
Add Reply